Dupont Owners Fined

The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs fined Len Salas and Max E. Salas, the owners of the Dupont Circle house where Georgetown graduate Nina Brekelmans (GRD ’15) died in a fire June 3, $6,000.

The men received three infraction notices of $2,000, charging that the house was not properly licensed.

Both owners have the opportunity to respond to the infractions. If they deny them, DCRA will hold an administrative hearing.

Resident Michael Patrick McLoughlin, 24 years old, a University of Maryland graduate, also died in the fire.

The families of both victims have also filed $10 million unlawful-death lawsuits against the property owners. The families alleged that the Salases failed to properly maintain the property; they claim that faulty smoke detectors, windows that were sealed shut and missing fire escapes made it impossible for Brekelmans and McLoughlin to escape the fire, which was caused by an electrical short.

The suit also claims that the building had faulty wiring, which authorities said caused the fire.

Brekelmans graduated May 2015 with a Master of Arts in Arab Studies. While at Georgetown, Brekelmans ran with the Georgetown Running Club, was treasurer of Georgetown Women in International Affairs and interned at the Muslim Chaplaincy.