After steamrolling opponent after opponent for the last month, Georgetown’s men’s tennis team hit its first roadblock.

The Hoyas were at James Madison University for the first leg of a tough road trip to close out the regular season, and they fell 4-3 to the Dukes yesterday. The loss snapped an eight- match winning streak and dropped the men to 10-11 on the season.

After being swept in the doubles matches, the Hoyas stormed through the first set in four of the six singles matches. Seniors Jeff Schnell and Ted Tywang, as well as juniors Adam Gross and Ken Wong, each had won their first sets in convincing fashion, when the tide began to turn.

“Jeff Schnell began to experience bad back spasms, but continued to battle,” Head Coach Gordie Ersnt said.

The Hoyas fortunes turned worse as Wong began to “experience major cramps,” and Adam Gross “twisted his ankle and was forced to take an injury time out,” according to Ernst. Schnell was unable to battle through his back pains and fell 6-2, 2-6, 0-6. With two points ceded to JMU, the injured Hoyas fought back, taking Wong and Gross’ matches, while Tywang took a 6-4, 6-3 win in his match. Ultimately that was not enough to secure a “W” for the Hoyas, as sophomore Dave Tillem lost a tight 5-7, 5-7 match, and sophomore Anthony Tan dropped a 2-6, 4-6 match.

In addition to the injuries sustained in yesterday’s match, Georgetown is also dealing with several other injuries. Junior Kevin Walsh has been restricted to doubles play, and sophomore Will Lowell is out for an undetermined amount of time due to a back injury.

Looking forward, Ernst hopes that “the team can get through Longwood [tomorrow] with a win, and then come home and rest before the Big East tournament.”

The Big East tournament begins next Friday.

eanwhile, the women were forced to perform double duty, making up a match against Delaware at home on Wednesday before heading to Harrisonburg, Va., to take on James Madison. The women lost 4-3 to the Blue Hens, but the match was not without some notable highlights. Freshman Alex Sebia rolled off another straight-set win, earning praise from Ernst as a person “who gets the job done.”

Junior Courtney Olsen picked up the Hoyas’ other singles victory with a tight three- set win, edging out her opponent 7-5 in the third set. The Hoyas also earned the doubles points by sweeping Delaware in three close matches.

The women then headed to James Madison, where they earned a 6-1 victory. They swept the doubles matches, and Olsen, Sebia, senior Stephanie Cohen and freshmen Caroline Kuehheun and Maxi Thiels all picked up victories. The lone Hoyas’ loss came in the number three position played by senior Liz Winokur.

The men and women next head to Farmville, Va., for matches against Longwood. The women will play Tuesday against Howard, while the men’s regular season concludes at Longwood.