Readers of college newspapers expect students to complain. We get that; at least we hope so. There is a depth of issues that Hoyas advocate and to which they pay lip service, which winds up simply being an exercise in whining. Like students at many universities, Hoyas seem to be involuntarily compelled to make fun of the food in their dining hall and whine that it is not open 24 hours a day, complain that the university abides by the legal drinking age limit, moan about the cleaning staff not cleaning the individual dorm bathrooms or grumble about the cable TV being too expensive or about Harbin patio being prone to having large puddles. Such gripes detract from the real issues of this campus, such as lax security, lack of study space, the slow mail service and a sense of detachment from the administration. Complaining about the small things just makes the students of this institution seem petty and misdirected. Comparing Leo’s fare to prison food is both unfair and unnecessary, and much of the lack of “variety” that students are so fond of describing really only points to the lack of creativity. True, many of the students are living away from home for the first time, and certain tasks like doing laundry, making food or bathing regularly without a mother’s reminder might be a difficult adjustment to make. Upperclassmen and those who have seen the facilities at other universities recognize that the size of Georgetown’s dining hall and the quality of its food is not at all embarrassing, and it is not financially feasible for ARAMARK, the cafeteria’s caterer, to pander to the more capricious complaints of students. oreover, Georgetown provides plenty of resources for its students, from supplies to improve your dorm room to nutrition guides. Frivolous complaints detract from the real reasons that Georgetown students should feel duped. In the past three years, two major improvements to Georgetown’s dining program have either fallen behind schedule or seem to have been abandoned altogether. The security of this campus has allowed for break-ins, muggings and hate crimes. The Senior Class Gift Committee has been hijacked by the president’s office. The space designed primarily for studying on this campus has been taken over for bureaucratic purposes, and students have been ousted to Lauinger. Sure, active and politically aware college students ought to voice their concerns about inefficiency and injustice on campus, in their country and abroad.But there is a fine line to be walked between frivolity and a call for improvement, and it seems that more often than not, we cross this line without thinking about the repercussions. The more students complain about the alcohol policy and the pizza, the less weight the calls for justice in Sudan or fair trade policies will carry when coming from the Georgetown student population. We must exercise our voice of protest with prudence, and that prudence should be exercised in the details of our student lives. Only when students focus their efforts on real problems will real change be achieved. If you really hate Leo’s, there’s always Pappa John’s.