To the Editor:

I enjoyed reading “Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Parallels African Apartheid” (THE HOYA, Jan. 24, 2006, A3). What strikes me as odd is that while President DeGioia continues to encourage “dialogue, research and intellectual discovery” on the issue of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, he establishes a glass ceiling over where this “discovery” can lead us by dismissing the simple consideration of divestment from Israel. This is an extremely dangerous precedent to set at an institution of higher education.

Ziad Abu-Rish (MAAS ’05)

Jan. 25, 2006

To the Editor:

While our university’s mission statement boasts of a “commitment to justice and the common good,” the Israel-Palestinian conflict is definitely one in which our university has sided with injustice. In the words of Desmond Tutu, “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” I would hope that President DeGioia hasn’t chosen the side of Israeli apartheid, as it would be a disgrace to our university.

Katherine Pitsch (MAAS ’06)

Jan. 25, 2006

To the Editor:

My family lives under Israeli military rule, suffers under such apartheid policies and endures their consequences. My family is divided with no contacts in their own land, by an Israeli-built, U.S.-sponsored, apartheid wall.

My family lost much of its land to the Israeli military government, which turned it over to Israeli individuals or corporations. My family is denied permits to build homes, and those built without a permit are under imminent threat of demolition, most likely using armored D9 Caterpillar bulldozers. The list could go on.

Israel is a democracy for Jews, but a Jewish state for Palestinians. Its apartheid practices are often subsidized by the unsuspecting American public; and this is why divestment is needed; to put an end to the human rights violations, starting by cutting the umbilical cord that nurtures them.

Fayyad Sbaihat

Former PSM Spokesman, 2003-04

Decatur, Ill.

Jan. 25, 2006