Distance Medley Wins NCAA Title

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

Georgetown’s track and field teams completed their winter season, competing in the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Indianapolis, Ind., March 5-6, with the women finishing in 17th place and the men in 30th place.

The distance medley relay team of senior Katrina de Boer and juniors Lisa Roder, Carron Allen and Autumn Fogg won first place in 11:10.16, and all received All-American honors for the win. Brigham Young finished in second place with 11:12.22

De Boer finished in eighth place in the 800-meter race with 2:15.63. She picked up her second All-American honor for her individual win.

Sophomore Kristen Gordon took 13th place in the 3,000-meter run, clocking 9:44.59 and also took 17th in the 5,000-meter race, running a 16:48.13 time.

The men’s team tied at six points with Texas Christian and Brigham Young for 30th place. The Hoyas also had six athletes bringing home All-American honors.

Senior Matt Kalwinsky earned seventh place in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:48.13, earning him All-American honors. Senior John Jordan also received an All-American certificate for his eighth-place, 4:04.85 finish in the mile run.

Seniors Ky Adderley and Sam Gabremariam, junior Isidro Pimentel and freshman Jeff Reinhardt finished in sixth place in the distance medley relay with a time of 9:37.84, also good enough to name all four as All-Americans.

That same weekend, the men also competed in the IC4A Indoor Championships, bringing home a seventh-straight title, scoring 99 points.

Senior Justin McCarthy won the 5,000-meter run with a 14:13.56 time, and finished fifth in the 3,000-meter race with a time of 8:18.33. Gabremariam also competed in the IC4A Championships, winning the 1,000-meter race in 2:21.28, while senior Tim Brennan finished in third place with a 2:27.08 time.

The Hoyas also had a good showing in the field events. Senior Doug Epps finished in second place in the shot put, while senior France Davis earned fifth place in the long jump and junior Sean Flynn took fifth place in the weight throw.

The men then opened their outdoor season at Central Florida’s Springbreak Invitational on March 13. In the meet, based on individual rather than team scoring, several Hoyas contributed top-10 finishes.

Pimentel won the 1,500-meter race with a 3:56.57 time. Sophomore David Rodriguez, Brennan and Adderley were close behind him, finishing third, fourth and sixth respectively. Sophomore Tom Bonner took eighth in the race, and junior Chris Marchal took ninth place.

Georgetown had a one-two finish in the 3,000-meter run. Jordan took first with a 8:36.06 time, and junior Eric Savoth finished two seconds behind him for second place.

Reinhardt took the top spot in the 800-meter race, followed by sophomore Matt Dunn in third, senior John Oliver in fifth, sophomore Corey Smith in sixth and senior George Kochman in seventh. The Hoyas also received a first place from the 4-x-400 relay team.

Flynn repeated his success with a win in the discus, while Epps finished in seventh. Junior Eric Olson brought home second place in the high jump.

The men’s and women’s teams head to the North Carolina State Relays in Raleigh, N.C., this weekend and will also compete at William and Mary on Sunday.