Georgetown’s baseball team may want to consult its basketball counterparts for advice on dealing with comeback losses. The basketball team’s season ended after giving away a 17-point lead in the second round of the NCAA tournament, while the baseball team held the lead in all three of its losses this weekend to Villanova.

The Hoyas (11-17, 3-9 Big East) are now last in the conference standings, while the Wildcats (13-15, 4-5), who entered the weekend as the league’s worst team, are now tied for seventh in the Big East.

“Overall it was a disappointing weekend,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “We didn’t play great defense or get the big hit. If we did any of those two things at the right time we would have won two games.”

Friday’s game saw Georgetown concede a 3-1 lead when Villanova strung together a four-run fifth inning thanks to two key errors from the Hoyas’ defense.

Georgetown pulled within a run in the eighth, when freshman third baseman Sean Lamont reached on a dropped third strike and was driven in by freshman second baseman Erick Fernandez. The Hoyas had new life after Lamont, who should have been the third out of the inning, reached on the dropped third strike, but Georgetown left runners stranded on first and third to end the rally.

Villanova tacked on another run to make the final score 6-4. Sophomore Tim Adleman was the tough-luck loser for Georgetown, as only one of the five runs he gave up was earned. Fernandez continued his hot-hitting, going 3-for-4 with a home run and all four of the Hoyas’ RBIs.

As tough as Friday’s loss was for Georgetown, Saturday’s 5-3 defeat may have been even harder to take. The Hoyas again led 3-1, and carried their two-cushion edge into the bottom of the eighth inning. Senior Michael Gaggioli was cruising, scattering five hits and a walk over the first seven innings, while striking out eight Wildcat batters. But Villanova managed to string together five singles in the eighth inning and plated four runs to take a 5-3 lead.

While the Wildcats did damage in the eighth, Wilk identified the Hoyas’ sixth inning as the turning point of the weekend. Georgetown had the bases loaded with no one out, and after a strikeout, senior catcher Matt Iannetta laced a line drive to first base that resulted in an inning-ending double play.

“If that line drive were a foot higher, it could have been a bases-clearing double,” Wilk said. “It would have changed the second game and also the third game of the series.”

Senior Matt Harrigan, who was 3-for-3 with two RBIs on the day, led off the top of the ninth inning with a single, but Georgetown could not muster any more offense to finish the game.

In the final game of the series on Sunday, the Hoyas scored in the first inning to take a 1-0 lead, but quickly fell behind 4-1 after three innings. Georgetown had trouble getting timely hits, and left 13 runners on base during the game.

The Hoyas left two runners on base at the end of the first, second, third and sixth innings, and left the bases loaded in the eighth inning. Despite the slew of base runners, Georgetown did not push across another run and finished the final game of the series 5-1.

Fernandez collected two more hits on Sunday and was 6-for-12 on the weekend. As a team, however, the Hoyas hit just .225 for the weekend, and were an abysmal .189, if you remove Fernandez’s statistics.

The Hoyas, who have two more conference losses than any other team in the Big East, will try to get back on track with midweek games at Maryland-Eastern Shore and Navy, before a weekend series against Rutgers.

They will try to break their current four-game losing streak today at 3 p.m. when they face the 5-26 Hawks of Maryland-Eastern Shore.

“We’re going to go back to the basics, hopefully put up a few W’s before Rutgers,” Wilk said.