Delay Likely For One Card Release

Card May not be Ready By Fall, GUSA Reps Say

By Kelly L. Karsner Hoya Staff Writer

The release date of the One Card, originally scheduled for the beginning of the fall 2000 semester, is in jeopardy. According to Jon Yeatman, (MSB ’00) and Eric Rivers (COL ’02), the GUSA representatives sponsoring the One Card initiative, delays in administrative details will likely push back the card’s release to the middle of next semester.

Rivers said the One Card has been an ongoing GUSA project for the past five years. He added that the length of time spent on this project was due to working out various contracts. According to Yeatman, the One Card received approval from Auxiliary Services about two months ago. This priority was delayed, however, when the housing crunch struck.

Margie Bryant, associate vice president of Auxiliary Services, who had been in charge of implementing the card, was instead called to help resolve the housing shortage for the upcoming year instead. Yeatman said that during the three weeks spent working on this issue, the One Card became a delayed priority. He added that this time put Auxiliary Services far enough behind in implementing the One Card that its release in August is no longer a guarantee.

According to GUSA Representative Keavney Klein (NUR ’02) disagreements such as what vendor would make the One Card and whether to use scanners or a computer chip delayed the card’s progress.

Rivers cited trouble coordinating all the necessary parties to consolidate their services on the One Card. “So many groups need to be in on the discussion – the library, [the Department of Public Safety], Marriott Food Services – all people who don’t want this to go through because it means they’re losing money. We need people high up in the administration to be willing to work for this,” Rivers said. He added that local restaurants who are not currently on the Munch Money plan are eager for the implementation of the card.

“They basically froze us out of the process when they gave us the okay,” said Yeatman. Currently, GUSA is waiting for requests for information of what the various vendors involved can do to accommodate the One Card and the cost. Yeatman reported that the original plan for the One Card implementation would likely be replaced by a phase-out from the old system to the One Card system in the middle of next semester. Rivers reported that the Students of Georgetown, Inc., is already prepared for the One Card with scanners in Vital Vittles.

Yeatman said he was angry with what GUSA considers the unnecessary inconvenience and waste of students’ money and time such an implementation will involve. “There is no reason why this has to happen,” he said. “The university can go to any of its vendors and say, ‘You have to implement this in the fall’. This is just a priority for the administration, although it is for the students.”

Bryant disagreed with this perspective, citing the extensive work needed to implement the One Card system. “Yes, things have been delayed with the One Card, but it was never purposely delayed,” Bryant said.

The One Card will replace the student ID card, Munch Money card, laundry card, printing card and bank debit card. Additionally, students would be able to use the One Card in vending machines on campus and to expedite the process of downloading one’s transcript from the Internet. An office would be open 24 hours to accommodate loss, theft or problems with the new card. “The One Card could potentially make this a cashless campus,” said Yeatman.

Rivers expressed the need for the administration to stay on top of the One Card’s progress. “We know it’s going to happen, but the question is when. We have to get them to do it now. If we get through the summer with no contract, it’s not going to happen soon.”

Related Links

All-Inclusive One Card Scheduled to Appear in Fall (9/28)