Editor’s Note: This story ran in the Nov. 14, 1986 issue of The Hoya. We are reprinting it to provide background and context to the appointmentof Senior Vice President John J. “Jack” DeGioia as university president.

In a sweeping move to manage major student clubs more effectively, Dean of Student Affairs Jack DeGioia announced last Thursday that the Office of Student Affairs will create three new boards to oversee performing arts, community involvement and media groups. The Student Activities Commission, which is presently responsible for all student clubs, will lose control of $117,000, or over 50 percent of its current $232,000 budget.

The Performing Arts and Community Involvement Program Advisory Councils and the Media Advisory Board will “provide stability and continuity” and help develop expertise in these fields, said DeGioia. Among other duties, board members will recommend funding levels for specific clubs and establish policies for arts, media and community outreach programs.

Administrators and students will begin forming the boards this spring, and all three boards will be in full operation by July 1, 1987. “We would like to proceed as quickly as possible,” said DeGioia.

Reformers point to the large budgets of the arts, media and community groups as the impetus for developing advisory boards independent of the SAC. The boards will provide a higher degree of “professionalism,” said Greg Smith (CAS ’88), a member of the task force, which helped design the boards, and Vice President of GUSA. “We’re not losing student in- put but there is going to be an open degree of counseling.”

The student press has lobbied for three years for the establishment of a group which would address special needs of university newspapers, magazines and radio stations. “The edia Board will lay the groundwork for an independent press at Georgetown,” said Mark Landler (SFS ’87), former editor-in-chief of The Hoya. Landler had submitted a proposal last year to the Office of Student Affairs recommending a media advisory council which would be separate from the SAC.

The student media, arts and community involvement groups constitute approximately 40 of the 90 clubs now managed by the SAC. The SAC will continue to oversee 50 clubs, such as the International Relations Club, political organizations and language and ethnic groups, which do not fall under the three cited categories. The 50 remaining clubs have less money and in general sponsor fewer events than the 40 clubs which the SAC will lose. “Power is being taken away from the SAC,” said SAC Chairman Jason Branciforte (CAS ’87). “The boards will control the budgets. Jack (DeGioia) says they need more professional management.”

“The job of the SAC commissioner is not going to be as prestigious,” said SAC Task Force member Bob Redmond (CAS ’88), “and the job that will be more influential will be the board position.

Three student representatives, three faculty members and one administrator will serve on each board. Special selection committees composed of students, including the GUSA president and vice president and one student appointed by a faculty advisor, will choose student board members. The Faculty Senate will select two faculty members, and the Office of Student Affairs will choose the one remaining faculty member and administrator.

The boards will work closely with administrators and faculty advisors already appointed by the Office of Student Affairs. Presently, Cesie Delve manages volunteer programs as director of Community Involvement Programs, Ron Lignelli oversees performing arts and Steve Klaidman advises members of the student media.

Currently, the community involvement, performing arts and media groups have budgets of $19,000, $22,000 and $76,000, respectively. DeGioia says he foresees no changes in those budgets when the advisory boards take effect. The boards will administer budgets quoted by the Office of Student Affairs.

Lignelli says that the management Of funds will remain essentially the same under the boards, but “the boards will be in a better position (to ask for budget increases).” In the future, arts groups will perform in the Leavey Center, “a multi-million dollar facility” said Greg Smith. “Therefore, it is in the administration’s best interest to manage budgets better.” The clubs left under SAC will undergo no budget changes, said DeGioia. Gene Walsh (CAS ’87), treasurer of the Progressive Students Union, a club which the SAC will continue to oversee, said he supports maximum student control of clubs but does not detect any change in the status quo with the restructuring of the SAC. “It’s ultimately going to be the same situation because they (student clubs) will still depend on the administration,” Walsh said.

Redmond, however, is concerned about the clubs remaining under SAC jurisdiction. “Rightly or wrongly, the other clubs might feel like leftovers,” said Redmond. “I would guess that they (members of the remaining 50 clubs) are not going to be too thrilled about it.”

However, Trish Beckman (GUNS ’87), co-chairman of the Progressive Student Union, spoke approvingly of the SAC reorganization. The large clubs which the boards will oversee “have major budgets” and may require different administering, said Beckman.

Task force member Bart Moore (SFS ’87), who is a GUSA representative and a SAC commissioner, said that the task force has considered the formation of a fourth board for student groups left under the SAC, “but we have no interest in holding up the structuring of the new boards while we haggle over the details.”

The Office of Student Affairs originally considered the idea of advisory boards for the three targeted areas several years ago. When DeGioia took over as Dean of Student Affairs in August 1985, he began to address the reorganization of the SAC. The debate continued through last year.

In May 1986, newly-elected GUSA officers approached DeGioia and requested that he include them in the SAC evaluation process. A five-member commission of students was formed to meet with DeGioia, administrators and heads of student groups to try to hammer out the structure of the proposed boards.