Thus far, the Women’s Center’s (wise) policy has been to avoid engaging in the unconstructive dialogue that some of its critics are dying for. I cannot speak on behalf of the Women’s Center, but I am able to speak on behalf of myself and other members of the community who wish to publicly support its presence on campus and its goal to provide information resources concerning issues that are unique to women at Georgetown. Bree Hocking and Dawn Scheirer’s criticism has nearly always been a confusing mix of misinformed rhetoric and, very often, inappropriate and irrelevant personal attacks at individual volunteers or the director ([“Women’s Center Biased in Its Services,” Oct. 6](http://www.thehoya.com/opinion/womens-center-biased-in-its-services/), page 3). After many tiresome months of this type of trash-talking theatrics, I think it’s time to call their bluff. According to Hocking and Scheirer’s latest column, we are to assume that any discussion of issues regarding women, gender and social justice is de facto exclusive of a conservative political perspective. On the contrary, I’m quite sure that there are conservative women out there who have opinions on all of the above. Who’s “disseminating propaganda” now? The thrust of Hocking and Scheirer’s arguments against the Women’s Center is dependent solely upon unfounded assumptions and patently false information. Once all is said and done, the only real complaint that these columnists have waged against the Women’s Center is that it does not represent their political standpoint — the actual substance of which I’m still in the dark. Advocating any one particular political ideology, however, was never the Women’s Center’s policy. It only seeks to provide women with information regarding health and other services. The Women’s Center allows them to interpret this information in accordance with whichever ideology they wish. For example, all of the books in the Women’s Center’s library are donations from students, faculty and staff. Any person who feels that her views are not being represented might want to consider donating a book or speak with the director. The Women’s Center rightly operates on the belief that certain issues pertaining to women, such as reproductive health, transcend party lines. It seems that Hocking and Scheirer have been very intentionally vague about what, exactly, is their problem with the services that the Women’s Center provides. With regards to their criticism of the Women’s Center’s mantra, they have said that the notion that both women and people of color experience oppression in our society is a strictly a premise of the “radical left.” Evidently, these women have a very limited conception of what radical is. Ultimately, these two women are focusing their disagreements with what they inaccurately perceive to be a general sort of feminist ideology toward the Women’s Center and this is unjustified. None of their criticisms of the Women’s Center could have been very well thought out, because once we pull them apart, we see that they just don’t hold up. Hocking and Scheirer stated that so-called important “statistics” about women are purposely pushed by The Women’s Center. These statistics, according to them, merely perpetuate a victim-status for women. But, the Women’s Center is not in the business of promoting statistics per se. Personally, such information does not reinforce any of my self-perceptions. Who are these women to tell me how I perceive myself? To say that they’ve gone way out of bounds is really the nicest way to say it. This absurd notion that women, who accept the idea that maybe everything in our world aren’t just as it should be, underperform as a result is just crazy. On the contrary, such information makes us tough. It makes us look at certain detrimental centuries-old habits and beliefs that we all share. It makes us work harder to get it right in our lifetimes. We shouldn’t have to suffer through a weekly column implying that certain types of information are not being presented by the Women’s Center and that no matter how hard these women have tried they just aren’t being listened to. Once we look behind Hocking and Scheirer’s bold statements, we see that they aren’t really saying much. They aren’t really invested in seeing the Women’s Center change, which they want us to believe, they just want it to go away for reasons I can’t begin to understand. But that’s not going to happen. It’s time that the Women’s Center receives some positive, public acknowledgment for all of its hard work and its role as a valuable resource for Georgetown University’s women. Brett Silton is a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences.