The Dalai Lama spoke at the National Cathedral yesterday on the second anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, promoting peace as a solution to violence. The Dalai Lama began the service by encouraging everyone in the crowd to remember those who were killed in the attacks two years ago, as well as the friends and family of the victims. This service was meant to be a forum for people of different faiths to come together and mourn the lives lost in the attacks, the Dalai Lama said.

Although he encouraged everyone to pray for the victims of the attacks, the Dalai Lama said that there is no point in worrying about what happened two years ago. Rather, he said, we should make an effort to avoid negative emotions and to focus more on forgiveness, contentment and self-discipline.

The Dalai Lama said that all religious traditions have potential and that no one religion should be blamed for the Sept. 11 attacks. Any negative feelings toward another should be forgotten because that person is also a person of God, he said.

The Dalai Lama also revealed some of his own weaknesses, recalling dreams in which he had negative feelings and felt unnecessary attachments. Of these dreams, he said he had to keep in mind that he is a Buddhist Monk and must put self-discipline, which he described as something like protection for long-term goals, above such negative feelings as anger and desire.