Daisy the Bulldog Appears at GU Games

Hoya Blue, Pilarz Continue Effort to Purchase On-Campus Dog

By Jean Weinberg Hoya Staff Writer

For the first time since Patrick Ewing (COL ’84) donned a Hoya uniform, a live bulldog has been part of the Georgetown cheering section at the last six home men’s basketball games.

“Daisy,” who belongs to Thomas Gerber, the son of a graduate, has been on the sidelines since the game against Providence on Jan. 9. However, Michael J. Boyle (MSB ’00), co-founder of Hoya Blue, the student athletic association that has been working on the “Bring Back Jack” campaign, and Scott Pilarz, S.J, a professor who has volunteered to house a bulldog in his New South apartment, are still leading efforts to obtain a permanent mascot that will live on campus.

Neither Boyle nor Long could be reached for comment Thursday night on Pilarz’s decision to purchase a pup next month.

“I’m not thrilled, because Daisy is not Jack,” Boyle said. He added that using Daisy at games is “sending mixed signals to people in terms of trying to raise money and keep support.”

Austin Martin (COL ’99), Hoya Blue Co-founder and GUSA vice-president, said that Pilarz intends to purchase a bulldog pup that will be littered on Feb. 6. According to GUSA President John Glennon (COL ’99), the dog may appear at the Senior Auction in late February. However, Pilarz said that should a pup be purchased, it would not be ready for games until next year.

Brian McGuire, Director of Sports Promotions, said, “I don’t think using Daisy should hurt” Hoya Blue’s efforts to purchase a new bulldog. He said, “Until they [Hoya Blue] have a bulldog,” Daisy will be used. He agreed that Sports Promotions would “be happy” to use the Hoya Blue dog once it is ready.

According to Boyle, a meeting to discuss the possibility of purchasing an official mascot took place on Dec. 9, attended by James A. Donahue, dean of students, Penny Rue, senior associate dean of students, Bethany Marlowe, associate dean of students, Pilarz, Bob Robinson, director of Residential Facilities, Kathleen Long (COL ’99) of the Senior Class Committee and Boyle.

The consensus at the meeting, Boyle said, was that Hoya Blue would need to have $5,000 in order to purchase the dog. According to Boyle, the money would be allocated as follows, $1,000 for veterinary care and supplies, $1,500 to cover the cost of the dog, and $2,500 to cover the cost of emergencies.

Boyle said McGuire asked him at the meeting whether he wanted to use “Daisy” at home games. Boyle said he did not.

Boyle said he was unaware the university had taken any subsequent action toward obtaining a live mascot after the Dec. 9 meeting until he saw “Daisy” at the first game after break, against Syracuse on Jan. 16. Boyle said he e-mailed McGuire Jan. 18 and received no response until Jan. 25, when McGuire informed Boyle in an e-mail that the university would continue using Daisy for the rest of the season, which includes four more home games.

McGuire said he only went ahead using Daisy after Gerber, the dog’s owner, called Long in December and asked her permission to use Daisy at the next several games, “and [Long] said yes.”

According to Gerber, “[Long] didn’t say, `Start bringing Daisy to the games.’ She said, `I don’t think it would be a problem.'”

Long said she and Pilarz went to see Daisy and Gerber before break, and that Gerber asked her if he could use Daisy in “in the interim.” She said her response was, “It’s something we’d have to think about.” Long also said she told Gerber, “This is not what we really want.”

The next day, Gerber met with McGuire and said that he had a “positive meeting” with Long.

However, Long said having Daisy at the games “really isn’t going to help” Hoya Blue’s efforts to “Bring Back Jack.” She said she made it clear to Gerber that “the only way” Hoya Blue wanted to use Daisy would be to show him in Red Square as an example of a bulldog, “not in a game situation.”

At the same time, McGuire said student and alumni response to “Daisy” has been overwhelmingly positive. McGuire said, “Tons of people want to see [Daisy].” He said, “It gets a crowd response . people are looking forward to seeing the dog.” He added, “To take away a dog without explanation wouldn’t have been right.”

According to Long, Hoya Blue has raised enough money to cover the cost of the actual dog, $1,500, from a senior night at F. Scott’s last December and donations from student groups such as the Georgetown Program Board and GUSA.

Long said Hoya Blue also hopes to raise more money from alumni, Hoyas Unlimited, an alumni and student organization that promotes Georgetown athletics, and from the senior class, which is considering giving the dog as part of its senior gift.

In addition, a P.O. Box was set up at Hoyas Unlimited for people to send money to for the “Bring Back Jack” campaign.