D.C. Seeks to Play Host to Gay Games

While thousands will flock to Sochi, Russia, for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games, Washington, D.C., may host games of its own that year: the Gay Games.

etropolitan Washington Gaymes Inc. placed the District’s bid in October, and the Federation of Gay Games announced late last month that the District was one of four finalist cities chosen from the 14 that expressed interest in hosting the games.

iami, Fla., Cleveland, Ohio, and Boston, Ma., are also being considered.

The Gay Games is the largest sporting and cultural event in the world focused on the promotion and empowerment of gay athletes, musicians and other talented individuals. Every four years, the event showcases the talents of over 12,000 participants in approximately 30 different sports and cultural events.

“I would describe the Gay Games as a celebration of human rights through sport and culture,” Kelly Stevens, officer of communications for the FGG, said.

FGG evaluates host cities based on three criteria: facilities, transportation systems and community support.

“The important things for site selection are facility – they have venues to provide the a minimum number of the sports required to host the events and cultural event, some type of transport system and good community support is important from both the LGBT community as well as the local government,” Stevens said.

As the evaluation process continues, Stevens said the District is a strong contender.

“You know, it’s really preliminary. They’re on equal footing right now, I’d say. I think D.C. just held this big aquatic event last year – very successful. So they have the facilities, they have the transportation, it sounds like they have community support . I would say they have a favorable view for that city, and it doesn’t hurt that [President-elect Barack] Obama was elected, either,” he said.

“I am glad to hear there are events that deal with athletes and queerness,” Carlos Leon-Ojeda (COL ’10) said. “I know a lot of people, especially at Georgetown, who have a lot of issues, particularly if they are LGBTQ-identified and in athletics. The `coming out’ process is a lot different [for them] than for others.”

Finalized bid documents are due in March 2009. Then, according to the Federation of Gay Games Web site, “FGG site inspectors will then visit each city between May and August of 2009. After final multimedia presentations, the 2014 Gay Games host city will then be selected by the Federation of Gay Games Assembly.”

Feras Sleiman, a spokesman for D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, said he did not yet know what role the mayor’s office would play in the games.

According to Stevens, Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley was very supportive of his city hosting the games in 2006.

“Due to the fact that the bidding process is ongoing, at this time it is premature to speculate on the District’s involvement in this event,” Sleiman said.

Both GU Pride and the LGBTQ Resource Center declined to comment at this time.