While the recent economic crisis has led people across the country to rethink their investment plans, several major developments in D.C. will continue as planned.

Both proposed and existing projects across the District, worth an estimated $42.7 billion, will continue as planned, according to the D.C. Development Report.

New projects, however, will take a wait-and-see attitude, which will mean fewer groundbreakings in 2009, said Chad Shuskey, senior director of Research and Visual Communications for Washington D.C. Economic Partnership.

Planned additions to the Shops at Georgetown Park, a 13-unit condominium and townhouse complex a few blocks from Georgetown University, and a 133 condo and hotel high-rise in Rosslyn are among a few of the developments planned near campus.

“D.C. tends to weather the storm much better [than other parts of the country],” Shuskey said. “Overall, developers are still very bullish.”

“We’re pretty optimistic,” said Sean Madigan, spokesperson for the Deputy Mayor’s Office for Planning and Economic Development.

adigan attributes D.C.’s economic resistance to continual federal government spending, the city’s attractiveness as an urban center, and a “really stable employment base.”

John Adler, a sales representative for Wormley Row condominium and townhouse apartments on Prospect Street, said the current economic troubles have not adversely affected interest in the former schoolhouse.

“I would say even during these economic times, which there’s clearly some uncertainty, it has not affected the interest level in our project,” he said.

adigan said Georgetown has been insulted from many of the effects of the economic crisis because of the unique nature of the neighborhood. The many historical homes, as well as the high-end shopping district have kept the neighborhood in high demand.

The demand for environmentally friendly housing will also continue to keep developers busy across the District, despite the economic slowdown.

“A lot of tenants now are demanding to reside in green buildings,” Shuskey said.

This works well for those who are environmentally conscious as well as those who simply want to reduce their electricity bills.

“If you have an owner who is willing to put more money up front to get the long term gain, the price does not become an issue,” Shuskey said.

The city is also promoting the idea of “transit-oriented” and “cluster” development, which bases the location of development projects on access to public transport and local services.

“The idea is that people live in a smaller footprint and use a lot less . resources getting here and there,” Madigan said.

The D.C. Green Building Act of 2006 will require most current non-residential projects to be certified using the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Building Rating System starting in 2012. The LEED system evaluates building projects using five “performance benchmarks” – sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality, according to the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Web site. By 2010, D.C. plans to have 50 projects, which have already met such standards according to the D.C. Development Report. Even aside from the law, there is a lot of demand for environmentally friendly development.

Between ongoing development projects and planned “green” projects, Madigan said he thinks the District will weather the economic storm.

“We’re looking at this puzzle like everybody else but from the singles that we’ve seen so far we think we’re OK,” he said.