The Georgetown Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Alumni Club has launched a new campaign to connect current Georgetown students with some of the 38,000 area alumni to create a career network for interested undergrads and graduates.

“The D.C. Alumni Club is here to serve the university,” Alumni Club President Dave Magness (SFS ’67) said. “This program is ideal for Georgetown students, and it is one we would love to see grow.”

In addition to the online job postings and career network, there will be two career nights for Georgetown students. The mission of these career receptions is to offer information about future vocations, referrals and job offers for graduates. The first event, which is planned for November, is intended for recent graduates, but undergrads are also encouraged to attend. Magness said that the second night in the spring should be more appealing for undergraduates, because the date is closer to graduation.

The club realized the need for revitalization when contacted by recent graduates regarding its career services, Magness said. The interest of these young alumni prompted the club to get new people involved and to plan different events to further the needs of fellow graduates.

“By getting more involved with the GU Career Center, we are opening doors for matters that haven’t been addressed in a long time,” Magness said.

With 38,000 alumni and parents in the area, the club boasts the largest market of Georgetown alumni in the country, according to Rebecca Hamel (FLL ’85), the club’s membership chair. “Now that the club is more high-profile, the networking resources are fantastic,” Hamel said.

She also attributed the club’s past success to the diverse student body that graduates from Georgetown each year. “We have graduates from all areas of the country willing to get involved. The city itself is such an incredible resource, as students have the option to intern with senators and congressmen.” On the other hand, she said, “Many other Georgetown graduates are from outside the D.C. area, so the possibilities for employment are endless.”

Although the aim of the Club is to recommend different aspects of the job market, Hamel described these events as “relationship-building opportunities.” She said, “These alumni can also be possible mentors for students.”

Magness said that the alumni club has had positive results in getting alumni involved in the past and that most often they are eager to share their experience with other Hoyas.

He emphasized the versatility of the alumni as resources for students. “Even though we do target these events by industry,” he said, “the career nights would be just as helpful for students that don’t know what field they’re going into as for those students that do.”

This coming summer, the club hopes to plan a send-off party for incoming students. “These personal face-to-face conversations get people energized. In the case of the informational interview process, students are able to pass their interest along through the alumni liaison, and in a sense, release their `business card’ with the hopes that a job offer will follow,” Hamel said.

The club will still sponsor happy hour events, river cruises, trips and holiday parties, but now will turn their focus toward career services as well, and add job interviews into the agenda.