CREW | Teams Finish Top Five in Lightweight Races at Princeton

The men’s and women’s crew teams were back in action this weekend, competing in their penultimate regattas of the fall season. The women’s team headed to Philadelphia, Pa., for the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta on Saturday, while the men’s team raced at the Princeton 3-Mile Chase on Sunday.

The women’s team competed in three events in the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta, sending five boats, including a varsity lightweight 8+, a varsity openweight 8+, a junior varsity lightweight 8+, a junior varsity openweight 8+ and an openweight 4.

In the championship eights final, Georgetown posted a solid finish, with the women’s lightweight 8+ boat placing third with a time of 13:46 and the openweight 8+ squad coming in eighth place, 10 seconds behind the lightweights.

Led by coxswain Ryan Zuccala, two men’s boats finished in the top 10 of the lightweight 4+ race.
GU HOYAS

In the club championship final, the Hoyas also raced two boats, with the lightweight junior varsity 8+ squad coming in sixth with a time of 14:19 and the openweight junior varsity 8+ boat coming in 27th at a time of 14:55.

Finally, in the championship quads, the women’s team earned its best finish of the regatta. The one Georgetown boat that competed in the race finished second with a time of 14:48, 11 seconds behind the champion from the Vesper Boat Club.

The men’s lightweight and heavyweight squads were tested by a three-mile course on Lake Carnegie in Princeton, N.J., in a race hosted by Princeton University.

Georgetown sent a total of six boats to compete in the Princeton 3-Mile Chase, including a varsity lightweight 8+, a freshman heavyweight 8+, a freshman lightweight 8+, and three varsity lightweight 4+ boats.

Throughout the course of the day, Georgetown battled strong competition, racing against Princeton University; the University of California, Berkley; the University of Pennsylvania and Cornell.

In the men’s varsity lightweight 8+ final, Georgetown placed fifth with a time of 13:32, 22 seconds behind the victorious Cornell squad.

Two hours and 15 minutes later, two Hoya squads competed against each other in the freshman 8+ final, which included both lightweight and heavyweight boats.

Georgetown’s heavyweight boat came in 10th place with a time of 14:19, five seconds ahead of the lightweight boat, which finished 11th. Both squads fell short to the California boat that finished first with a time of 13:32.

In the lightweight 4+ final at 1 p.m., the last race of the day, the men posted their best finish of the weekend. Three boats competed in the race, with the Georgetown squads finishing fourth with a time of 14:55, eighth in a time of 15:06 and 21st with a time of 15:59. All three squads came in behind the victorious Pennsylvania boat.

Lightweight Coach Lee Rumpf said the Hoyas performed well in their final league regatta of the fall.

“I am really pleased with our results today as a team,” Rumpf said in an interview with GUHoyas. “We won’t see any league competition until March, so it was great to wrap up our league fall season with a solid performance.”

Both teams will race Nov. 3 in the Head of the Occoquan Regatta, the final competition of the fall season.