Credit Ranking to Help Fundraising

International credit and investment rating provider, Standard and Poor’s, has raised Georgetown’s credit rating this month, reflecting the improvement in university fundraising and management leadership.

Standard and Poor’s publishes financial research and analysis on stocks and bonds, while also grading borrowers using an alphabetical scale.

The university’s previous rating, while still within the “Investment Grade” scale, was a BBB+, which categorized Georgetown as a satisfactory, medium-class borrower.

This month, Standard and Poor’s has upgraded Georgetown to an A- ranking, placing it as a higher-quality borrower.

University officials say that while a number of factors contributed to the rating increase, last year’s record-breaking fundraising undoubtedly played a role.

“I would say about the S&P rating that indeed it does reflect on the improved proficiency of our fundraising operation,” Vice President of Advancement James Langley said.

Georgetown raised $109 million in cash gifts and $146 million in gift commitments this past fiscal year, which ended on June 30.

“This action reflects the experienced management team and solid financial plan in place at Georgetown, as well as strong student demand and strong fundraising,” university spokesperson Julie Bataille said. “These factors all contributed to S&P’s decision.”

Langley said he hopes that the university’s new credit rating will help increase fundraising as the Office of Advancement plans for next year’s campaign.

“This higher rating helps us in the market, because now potential investors can look to Georgetown with greater confidence and the belief that an investment in Georgetown will be well-leveraged and will be sustained by our improved fiscal health,” he said.

Langley added that the rating strengthens Georgetown in the competition for private support as well.

In addition to growing fundraising, Bataille said that the improved credit score may open up additional funds which will be allocated to financial aid and other important programs.

“This action means that credit agencies recognize Georgetown’s financial plan and may enable the university to secure better interest rates for debt financing as we look to continue efforts that enable investments in strategic areas, including financial aid, faculty salaries and facilities,” Bataille said.