The beginning months of the academic year also mark the start of an often nerve-wracking process for seniors: the search for suitable post-graduation employment. These students turn to the most obvious resource available on campus, the MBNA Career Education Center, for guidance. Though the career center has many services available to seniors, and to the rest of the undergraduate student body, there is a disproportionate amount of attention given to certain fields. More particularly, the career center seems to focus heavily on banking and consulting jobs while offering insufficient guidance in other areas.

Though the career center does present some other job opportunities and has an extensive array of services that teaches students how to better secure a job in any field, it is widely perceived among Georgetown students that the center is only useful for those who wish to pursue finance careers. The career center ought to provide more information and recruiting opportunities for jobs outside business-related fields and better advertise these other options and services. Especially in an economy in which the banking industry is struggling, such a move would help students be better able to expand their career options.

Part of the reason for the career center’s focus on banking jobs is that many banking firms hold platinum partner positions at Georgetown. Being a platinum partner means the companies are better able to recruit students and advertise the benefits of working for their company because they have easier access to the student body and the campus. Because banking firms have the money and the ability to foresee their future employment needs, the platinum partner deal is a worthwhile investment.

The 2007 Senior Survey Report, conducted by the career center to document statistics about the Class of 2007’s post-graduate plans, finds that 61 percent of surveyed seniors were employed full-time. Out of these seniors, about 40 percent found jobs in banking or consulting. We do not mean to discourage the career center’s dedication to helping students find banking jobs. Rather, we suggest that the other 60 percent who didn’t choose to work in the banking industry deserve a similar amount of attention, and we think their wishes should be given more consideration. The center should reach out to other non-financial institutions so seniors can see a diverse array of possible alternatives.

The career center maintains that the idea of a “banking-bias perception” is a misconception. However, the career center does apply a proper amount of zeal to helping students applying for jobs at investment banks and is lackluster in helping students applying for jobs in the political field.

Students should be aware that the career center does offer opportunities for proactive students to explore other career paths through venues such as the Hoya Career Connection, the Fall Career Fair and the spring Government and Non-Profit Expo. Job-hunting is of course not solely the responsibility of the career center, and students must be their own best advocates. However, many students need more than just a presentation of job opportunities: They need guidance. It is ironic that, at a school known for its political science program, students so often complain that the career center knows very little about jobs in politics or government.

Have a reaction to this article? Write a letter to the editor.

Comments are closed.