In the Spotlight: Andy Corno

Sport: Men’s Lacrosse

Position: Faceoff Midfield

Hometown: Bethesda, Md.

High School: Walt Whitman High School

School/Year: MSB `05

Major: Marketing

High School Highlights: 2000-01: All-County Football, All-County Lacrosse, All-American Lacrosse, All-MET (Washington Post) Lacrosse.

Georgetown Highlights: All-time career leader in face-off win percentage (.633) at Georgetown . 2004: Face-Off Yearbook Preseason First Team All-American . USILA Second Team All-American . NCAA Faceoff Man of the Year . First Team All-ECAC . 2003: NCAA Faceoff Man of the Year . USILA Honorable Mention All-American selection . ECAC Offensive Player of the Week for the week of May 5, 2003 . 181 face-off wins and 277 face-off attempts set a Georgetown record . win-percentage of .653 on the year ranked first in the ECAC, second in Georgetown history and third in the country . 83 groundballs on the season ranks second all-time at Georgetown . 2002: Won .609 regular season attempts, ranking first in the ECAC.

When did you first start playing lacrosse? I have had a stick since I was eleven or twelve, but eighth grade was my official year on the team. I was sick of baseball and wanted to try another sport, and my cousins played.

What’s the biggest sacrifice you have had to make for lacrosse? It’s just time consuming. It is another job. So, you don’t get all the perks of being a college student when you are playing a varsity sport.

What was the best moment in your lacrosse career so far? Beating UMass last year.

What is a typical lacrosse practice like? Just a lot of running, a lot of “disguised running” as coach [Urick] would like to say. It’s gotta be probably like five miles, I’m guessing. A lot of weave! They do it in every sport.

Who’s your biggest rival? UMass and Duke.

What do you do to keep in shape? In the off-season I work out with a friend from home [Tony Korson, Florida] and try to play basketball and be disciplined about doing it everyday.

Favorite Georgetown course? Digital Art. I am taking that now, and I love going to it everyday.

What are the biggest misconception people have about you? That I am fat. I try to add a little humor to it.

If you could change one thing about lacrosse what would it be? God, that is tough . to speed the game up. They slow the game down with timeouts and stuff like that. The coaches’ committee is doing something about it. They want to decrease the amount of stoppage of play.

Who on the team do you rely on the most? My wingmen, Brody errill and Brice Queener. For my position as a faceoff I rely on them everyday. They make me look good.

What do you have in your lacrosse bag? A couple extra mouthpieces, a whistle for faceoffs. I am trying to think. That is a good question. There is nothing incriminating.

If you could be great at any other sport besides lacrosse, what would it be? Basketball would be pretty cool to play here. I don’t have the body for it, but it would be a good sport to play in college.

Do you have any superstitions? I used to, but not any more. I don’t believe in wearing the same jock-strap every game.

What’s your favorite building at Georgetown? I spend at lot of time in McDonough, so I have to go with that. Just the locker room scene, it’s a bunch of characters. It’s funny hanging out with the same guys.

What is a word you might use to describe yourself? I have to go with punctual, always on time.

Who is your biggest inspiration? My 94-year-old grandfather [John Moglia, who Corno calls “Papsi”] living strong. We have this saying in our family: “Singing and laughter makes you young at heart.” And he is a complete jokester and sings all day. Now I am a horrible singer.

What’s your biggest fear? On the field, not making it to the Final Four this year. Off the field, [confident laughter] I don’t know. I don’t know if I . I have overcome many of my fears.

Most embarrassing moment? My new most embarrassing moment is taking these poses [for In the Spotlight] in front of the whole girls’ lacrosse team.

Favorite food? My mom is an unbelievable cook, Italian 100 percent. Eating is a big event; it is not just to feed yourself. But my favorite food is Maryland crabs. Sorry, Mom.

What type of music do you like? Before a game, music without words. I don’t like to listen to music with words. But I am really into music otherwise. I like to search for music, find new bands like that. I have always been a fan of Pink Floyd and Radiohead.

What is your dream job? My dream job is different from what I am doing. I am working with my brother. We have opened a couple of restaurants together. Well, it is a franchise, but I consider myself a decent cook. But I give that credit to my roommate [Nick iaritis (MSB’ 05)]. He is the chef of the room. But my dream job is to be a fly fishing guide. I love fly fishing and the outdoors. In a foreign country, far far away.

Favorite restaurant in Georgetown? I have to go with Sequoia during the summer and springtime. It’s right on the water. We have a boat parked on the Potomac, so we take it out there.

Favorite movie? Vanilla Sky. I just thought it was a cool idea. I really liked the soundtrack.

Least favorite movie? I am going with least favorite show: Jeopardy. It makes me feel stupid.

Dark chocolate or milk chocolate? I am not a chocolate guy. Swedish Fish is my candy of choice.

How do you spend your summers? Keeping in good touch with friends from home and going to the Jersey shore with my family. Ocean City is where we go.

If you could change places with any historical figure for a day, what would it be? That is a good question. You’ve stumped me on this one. Give me a minute, I will think of something. I might have to go with . [complete silence] I don’t know. That is a tough one. I am trying not to think of a sports hero. I don’t want to give the typical “Michael Jordan” or things like that.

Booey’s or Wisey’s? I am going to have to go with neither: The Pita Pit. My favorite food is the chicken caesar, and that is the franchise me and my brother have gotten into. 22nd and G Street, in case you’re hungry.

Advertisement ‘; dc.writeln(”); if(navigator.appName.indexOf(‘Mic’)<=0){dc.writeln(u+”);} dc.writeln(”); // –> SECTIONS: Front Page | News | Sports | Opinion | The Guide   . . Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Rights and Permissions |Set as Home Page Questions or comments about this site should be directed to webmasterthehoya.com. Copyright c 1998-2005, The Hoya, Georgetown University. All rights reserved.