VIEWPOINT Contraceptives Needed at On-Campus Venues By Prisca illiance

A referral – that is all the female population at Georgetown can hope to get when it visits the Women’s Center at Leavey 327. Not to say that it is the university’s duty to provide clinical care to women who have chosen to engage in sexual activity and have thus found themselves preparing for an unplanned pregnancy, but the purpose of a women’s center at any university is to provide help to those in need.

Although it has become clear that this is in fact a school grounded in the Jesuit tradition, I’m sure John Carroll and friends would not prefer a sizeable portion of this university’s population to be at risk to various sexually transmitted diseases and unplanned parenthood as a result of the lack of contraceptives available on campus.

It seems somewhat of a paradox that the administration would condone events like Student Bartender Night and tailgating, where students are known to engage in heavy alcohol consumption, yet fail to carry condoms at campus convenience stores like Vittle Vittles and Wisemiller’s. All truth be told, it is obvious that sexual activities have a higher risk of occurring at such high levels of intoxication.

Furthermore, if the administration can refuse to encourage needs for an evolving society such as the use of contraceptives and a LGBTQ center because they may be against the “Jesuit tradition,” then it should also keep in mind that gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins and activities of such massive alcohol consumption (substance abuse) should also be discouraged. That is, of course, in adherence to the Jesuit tradition.

However, I do not think that Georgetown should provide these contraceptives to students at no cost. In many of the universities I’ve visited in the past, condoms have been available anywhere from dorm elevators to security desks. This is not a duty to be imposed on the university. But to refrain from even selling them at the convenience store serves no real purpose but to inconvenience those in need of them.

It makes no sense that I (as a voting citizen of the U.S. of A) would have to walk the four or so blocks to CVS in order to gain access to a necessary product that could be available across the street. It makes no sense that the university would thwart a natural process of human existence but uphold those that could be potentially fatal. What it has failed to acknowledge is that once it opened its doors to the opposite sex, the temptations of the flesh would ensue and available contraceptives would become a necessity.

Although it has been condemned as an indulgent and evil act throughout the pages of our world’s history, sex is a natural process that produces great leaders and thinkers. Adam and Eve did it. Your parents did. Even the Virgin Mary had to have done it at some point (Jesus wasn’t an only child). The difference today is, however, that we are far more at risk with the spread of diseases like HIV and with AIDS on the rise. Our mothers’ worries of potential pregnancy during the 1950s are something we wish for in comparison to the fatal repercussions of these STDs.

It is true that those who choose to engage in these activities should take responsibility for the consequences but the more inaccessible administration makes birth control, the more difficult it will be for us to act responsibly. I am not asking for the Women’s Center to be transformed into an abortion clinic, nor am I demanding free access to contraceptives or medical care. All I want is protection (in the form of tubular latex products) – available on campus.

Prisca Milliance is a freshman in the College.