Concert Bursts With Color

COURTESY LIFE IN COLOR Life in color is annual paint party concert that features prominent DJ’s in the electro dance music genre. The event is filled with other forms of entertainment, from circus-styled performers to a vibrant LED light show.
COURTESY LIFE IN COLOR
Life in color is annual paint party concert that features prominent DJ’s in the electro dance music genre. The event is filled with other forms of entertainment, from circus-styled performers to a vibrant LED light show.

Paint flying, people dancing, music blaring — this is the typical scene at Life in Color, or as some might call it, the “World’s Largest Paint Party.”

Life in Color mixes electronic dance music with large blasts of neon paint and features a variety of popular DJs. Past events have included Cash Cash, Basscrooks, Zeds Dead and some of the biggest performers found in EDM.

“LIC is an event for people to escape their daily lives and just let loose,” event organizer Max Roseff said.

Life in Color is known not only for its heart-pumping music, insane amount of dancing and wild energy, but also for its inventive non-musical acts; some have likened the event to Broadway or Cirque du Soleil.

It includes aerial stunts, circus-styled performers, stilt walkers, contortionists, fire shows and a highly anticipated paint blast. The first paint blast is momentously awaited as a clock on the wall counts down to the explosion. Several paint canons then spray a large amount of multicolored paint onto the crowd.

Most of the partygoers dress in white clothing so they can be a “canvas” for the paint. The closer they are to the dance floor area, the more paint they’ll get. Attendees who feel the need for an extra dose of paint can also purchase a paint bottle to douse themselves or have fun with friends. For most partygoers, the paint is one of the integral aspects of the event, creating an experience unlike any other, and with plenty of great photo opportunities to ensure it is never forgotten. It’s an event that revels in being dramatically extreme.

“Nothing else of the level we take our events to currently exists,” Roseff said.

Life in Color was not always known by that moniker. Sebastian Solano and a group of his friends originally established the tour as Dayglow in 2006 They started throwing parties in high school and continued to do so in college as their reputation grew. Soon after, they dropped out of college to pursue this activity as a full-time career.

Dayglow events were initially hosted at colleges in the Florida area and were popular with fraternities; however, as the tour grew more and more popular, the shows began booking more known DJs and adding more artistic components of the show.  Lighting and other special effects became more extravagant.

The first out-of-state show in Columbus, Ohio, was completely sold out. Dayglow was acquired by EDM promoter SFX Entertainment in 2012 and subsequently rebranded. The name “Dayglow” was deemed too generic — they felt that “Life in Color” better captured the vibrancy of the event.

Life in Color is an extremely lively event, known for the unexpected, and not just in terms of the unpredictable explosions of paint. In fact, Roseff mentions that there have been “multiple marriage proposals” at these shows.

Immensely popular with students, especially freshman, Roseff credits its success to the event’s unique character. “LIC is an event for people to escape their daily lives and kind of just let loose,” he said.

Despite being primarily based in the United States, because of its growing popularity and consistently sold-out shows, Life in Color has expanded its reach — it just went on a world tour, travelling to countries such as Mexico and Norway.

This year, Life in Color is amplifying its visual effects with more fireworks and more paint than ever before. Roseff adds that there will be “an eclectic group of headliners from multiple genres of EDM” to help expand its fan base.

Life in Color, open to anyone over 18, will be back in Washington, D.C., again this Saturday, Sept. 20 at the RFK Stadium Grounds. The event begins at 6 p.m. and will feature W&W, NERVO, Borgore, and Vicetone. Tickets generally range from $70 to $120. This is a perfect opportunity for Georgetown students to go out and have an amazing time.

“It’s the start of the new school year and about to get freezing this winter, let loose with your friends before you have to bundle up and study,” Roseff said.