Group to Name Three Finalists

By Andreas Andrea Hoya Staff Writer

The committee charged with finding a replacement for departing Dean of Students James A. Donahue is expecting to complete its work early next week. According to Marcia Morris, search committee chairperson and chair of the department of Slavic languages, the committee will most likely hand over its three recommendations for the new vice-president of student affairs to University President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J., by this Monday.

The committee is presently still in the process of interviewing its last batch of candidates on campus, Morris said. She said she does not believe the three names will be made public on Monday.

O’Donovan will choose the next vice president of student affairs from the three recommendations put forth by the committee. Morris said she cannot say how long O’Donovan will take to make his decision.

Jacques Arsenualt (COL ’01), a student member of the committee and vice president-elect of GUSA said, “Its going well. There are a lot of strong applicants and I am confident we will end up with someone who can do a great job.” Arsenault could not comment any further due to restrictions on speaking to the media placed on members by the committee.

The committee’s timing is in accordance with Morris’ statement in a March article in The Hoya that the committee would have its recommendation by the second part of April. The committee had already extended its search by one month due to spring break and in order to accommodate the schedules of candidates.

The position of dean of students was changed to vice president for student affairs by the committee earlier in the year. “We feel that the position has evolved over time and that the responsibilities involved are best described by the new title,” orris said in a January article in The Hoya.

Related Links

Dean Search Presses On (1/28)-Donahue Announces Departure (11/12)