Committee Begins Search For Residence Life Director

RES LIFE Committee Begins Search For Residence Life Director By Kristen Wayne Hoya Staff Writer

A search committee has been established to help find a new Director of Residence Life. The 10-person committee, comprised of members of the Georgetown community, is currently reviewing the 70 applications that have already been received and determining what qualifications should be considered for the position.

The search for a new director began in early February, when the Search Committee began meeting. The university placed job descriptions for the position in The Washington Post, several web sites relating to student affairs, the Chronicle of Higher Education and other locations.

The original application deadline was Feb. 28, but according to Assistant Director of Residence Life Todd Harris, who is also a member of the search committee, the deadline was extended to March 14 to allow for a greater number of applicants.

Harris said that the committee has already identified its top candidates from the applicant pool, based on previous experience, education, transferable skills, and identification with Georgetown’s Jesuit heritage.

The committee is co-chaired by Lisa A. Zuccarelli, who said the committee will present between four and six candidates to Vice President for Student Affairs Juan C. Gonzalez.

Zuccarelli indicated that the only candidates put before Gonzalez would be those that each member of the committee believes to be an excellent candidate. She said that the committee would “work with deliberate speed, doing a thorough job of reviewing the applications before deciding on a final list of candidates.” She indicated that intense interviewing of the candidates would begin once the final list of candidates has submitted its list of candidates to Gonzalez

Open meetings were held on Monday, March 25, for faculty, staff, and students to share their ideas on the most important qualities for a director of Residence Life. Both Harris and Zuccarelli said that the committee’s goal is to hear what Georgetown faculty and students are looking for in a new director and that the committee would take this into consideration.”We have a wonderful search committee in terms of balance. The search committee is really dedicated to this task, we realize how important it is,” Zuccarelli said.

The appointed director will begin his or her contract on July 1, 2002. This will give the new director a month to adjust him or herself before going through four weeks of training.

The current Director of Residence Life, Bethany Marlowe, has served in the position for 15 years. She will be leaving Georgetown to become Dean of Students at Winthrop University in South Carolina.