COMMENTARY | Copeland’s Rise Tied to Hoyas’ Success

FILE PHOTO: JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA Freshman forward Isaac Copeland has been named the Big East Rookie of the Week three times this season, including the last two weeks.
FILE PHOTO: JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA
Freshman forward Isaac Copeland has been named the Big East Rookie of the Week three times this season, including the last two weeks.

As the final seconds ticked away, the Georgetown men’s basketball team trailed Butler 59-58. Senior guard and co-captain Jabril Trawick dribbled up the court, shrugged off a screen set by senior center Joshua Smith, and penetrated to his left. That is when he noticed freshman forward Isaac Copeland standing open in the corner.

Without hesitating, Trawick snapped a pass to Copeland, who immediately rose up and buried a three-pointer, giving the Georgetown men’s basketball team a critical home win back on Jan. 17. A packed Verizon Center student section erupted in a state of jubilation, and there was renewed hope that maybe Georgetown was back.

Copeland was an unlikely hero; his three-pointer gave him 10 points in the game, marking the first time that he had scored double-digit points since Dec. 7 against Towson. At one point, the former five-star recruit — ESPN ranked him as the 16th best prospect in the Class of 2014 — scored a total of four points in a stretch of five games.

In addition, the team’s leading scorer, junior guard and co-captain D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, stood on the right wing, ready to take the big shot as he has so many times before. Still, Trawick trusted the freshman to make a big play in a big situation, and the decision paid off.

“Isaac was wide open, and Coach always says that one of our mottos is to trust each other, so I snapped it to him, and he made a big play,” Trawick said at the time, showing his team-first attitude.

Since that game, Copeland has emerged as a key piece of Georgetown’s offense. Immediately after the Butler win, Copeland scored a then-career high 17 points on 5-of-6 shooting in the team’s upset win over then-No. 4 Villanova. He then matched that number in the team’s next game against Marquette.

In a road win over Seton Hall, Copeland set a new career-high of 20 points, sinking three three-pointers, also a career-high in three-pointers made. As a result of his performance, Copeland earned recognition as the Big East Rookie of the Week on Feb. 16, an honor he has received three times this season. But he was more concerned with his team’s performance than his individual accolades.

CLAIRE SOISSON/THE HOYA Freshman forward Isaac Copeland has averaged 11.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game over a nine-game stretch since his game-winning three-pointer against Butler on Jan. 19.
CLAIRE SOISSON/THE HOYA
Freshman forward Isaac Copeland has averaged 11.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game over a nine-game stretch since his game-winning three-pointer against Butler on Jan. 19.

“It’s a great honor, but I’m more concerned about winning right now. I’m happy to get it, but I just want to win games,” Copeland said.

Since his game-winner against Butler, the rising star has averaged 11.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game over a nine-game stretch. He has reinvigorated the Georgetown offense with his athleticism and shooting ability.

Standing at a lanky 6 feet 9 inches, Copeland is a threat to score from anywhere on the floor. He has converted 38 percent of his three-point 38 percent of his three-point attempts, and also possesses a reliable midrange jump shot. He has also shown an improving ability to take his dribble all the way to the rim, most notably to throw down a thunderous, highlight-reel dunk in the team’s home win over St. John’s.

Moreover, Copeland has been a menace on the offensive glass recently, frequently leaping above the fray to snare the rebound and give the team an extra possession.

Copeland’s emergence could prove key to the Hoyas’ postseason chances. His presence on the floor diverts opponents’ attention from Smith-Rivera and Smith, who have been Georgetown’s primary offensive threats throughout the season.

Adding to the team’s two leading scorers is Trawick, whose improved three-point shooting further spaces the floor, as he has made 46 percent of his long-range attempts this year, up from 31 percent last year.

Freshman forwards L.J. Peak and Paul White also provide scoring ability, and the Hoyas have received important contributions from senior forwards Aaron Bowen and Mikael Hopkins, as well as freshman guard Tre Campbell.

The team’s balanced offensive approach was on display in the team’s recent win over St. John’s, in which six players scored 11 or 12 points.

As the season continues, defenses will be forced to pay attention to all five of the players on the floor, which bodes well for the team’s March fortunes. Looking back, Hoya fans might point to Copeland’s shot against Butler as the turning point for the season, the moment that propelled the Hoyas to a successful finish to their season.

TylerPark_Sketch

Tyler Park is a freshman in the College. He is a deputy sports editor for The Hoya.