History was made on Tuesday night as the George Washington women’s volleyball team came to McDonough Gymnasium to take on Georgetown. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the kind of history the Hoyas will enjoy reading anytime soon.

The Colonials defeated the Hoyas, improving to 10-0 on the season, their best start in 28 years. The match also marked the first time the Colonials have defeated the Hoyas since 1997. Georgetown’s dominance came to an end as the team was defeated 3-1 (30-15, 30-28, 23-30, 30-25).

The match was also a chance for Georgetown head coach Li Liu to do battle against her former team. Liu played as an outside hitter for the Colonials from 1993 to 1994, though the coach downplayed that significance for her. “I don’t see any difference in this game. I want them to do well but I also want to win,” she said.

George Washington came to play with a very experienced team – one whose starting lineup held four seniors and two juniors. The Colonials’ veteran leadership was a stark contrast to the Georgetown’s young group, and Tuesday’s match was a demonstration of what experience and age can do for a team.

The Hoyas were simply overmatched in the first game, as they saw their score double. Georgetown had a negative kill percentage, although GW was barely positive with 12 percent kills.

“We got out to a slow start,” Liu said. “One thing goes wrong and then a couple things follow.”

Sophomore outside hitter Rachel Nelson led the Hoyas with four kills in the first game. Her kill numbers were matched by senior outside hitter Ruth Lazzari of the Colonials.

Georgetown kicked up the energy level in the second game, cheered on by their fellow athletes who had come out to support them. The vociferous crowd got behind the Hoyas, who put some pressure on the Colonials in a close and hard-fought game. The final score, however, was in George Washington’s favor.

“I was happy to see [the girls] able to change their mentality,” Liu said. “They really wanted to win.”

In the third game, Georgetown came out and did exactly that. Behind particularly strong games from sophomore outside hitters Ashley Lancaster and Rachel Nelson, the Hoyas were victorious.

The fourth stanza was a back-and-forth affair with a long string of sideouts for both sides. In the end, the Hoyas failed to regain control and lost the game, 30-25.

Georgetown saw strong performances from Nelson, who had 13 kills and 14 digs, as well as Lancaster, who had 13 kills in addition to nine digs. Lancaster started the evening slowly but came out invigorated after sitting out part of the second game.

“She knew she had to do better,” Liu said.

The coach was also impressed with the play of her junior libero Julie Grauert, who had a match-high 20 digs. Overall, the team gave a strong performance that showed encouraging results.

“Our stats are getting better,” Liu said. “I am very confident that we will play well this year.”

As the team looks ahead, they prepare for the return of senior setter and captain Jen Ward. The team looks to her for the on-court leadership she has brought to the team in years past. Ward, who has missed a month of practice with mononucleosis, is “dying to come back,” Liu said. “She’s been working really hard.”

Despite her team’s youth and inexperience, Liu doesn’t see anything that can’t be overcome with hard work.

“Yes, we are young,” she said, “but that’s not an excuse. We just need to work on becoming more confident and consistent.”

The team will have one last chance to work on those things before jumping into Big East play. They travel to Philadelphia this weekend to take part in the Temple University Tournament, to be held Sept. 19 and 20.