Leave it to George Washington to rain on Georgetown’s parade.

After extending their season winning streak to three with a 12-3 win Tuesday over Coppin State, the Hoyas’ second-longest winning streak of the year was halted by an 11-4 loss to the Colonials.

Georgetown (11-13, 3-6 Big East) never led against George Washington, but remained within striking distance for most of the game. The Hoyas were within two runs until the eighth inning when GW junior first baseman Tim Reeves hit a grand slam to put the game out of reach for good.

“We had a chance to win about five or six times, but we didn’t come up with big hits,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “They tried to give [the game] to us, but we didn’t take it.”

The Colonials’ pitching staff held the Hoyas to seven hits but surrendered 11 walks to the patient Georgetown offense. The Hoyas could not capitalize on the slew of base runners, however, as they left 16 on base for the game.

Georgetown’s four runs all came off of walks – junior right fielder Kelly Muir (who drew three walks on the day) and freshman third baseman Sean Lamont (two walks) scored one run each, and sophomore first baseman Dan Capeless drew four walks and crossed the plate twice. Capeless, who is hitting just .235 on the year, also drew four walks on Tuesday against Coppin State. He leads the Hoyas in walks with 20 on the year, and his on-base percentage is .389.

Wilk said that Capeless has walked 10 times in his last 13 plate appearances, and that it is some combination of Capeless’s patience at the plate and good fortune.

Leading the offense against Coppin State was the middle infield duo of sophomore shortstop Tom Elliott and freshman second baseman Erick Fernandez. Elliott was 4-for-6 with two runs and three RBIs in the leadoff spot, while Fernandez went 4-for-5 with two runs and four RBIs hitting third.

“We got a chance to play some of the younger guys, and they stepped up,” Wilk said of the Hoyas’ game against Coppin State. “Fernandez had a monster day.”

Georgetown also received solid pitching from its starter, junior Jimmy Saris, along with freshman Pablo Vinent and sophomore Billy Concannon out of the bullpen. Saris went four innings, giving up just two hits while striking out six. Vinent and Concannon combined for five innings of two-run ball, striking out a combined six batters while walking none.

Georgetown pitchers struck out 23 batters over their two midweek games.

The Hoyas will start a series against Big East foe Villanova this afternoon. The Wildcats are 10-15 overall and are sitting in last place in the conference at 1-5 in Big East play.

The Wildcats are coming off of two straight wins over La Salle and Coppin State but have lost seven of their last 10 games.

“Villanova always has good arms, but on paper it doesn’t look like they’re hitting much,” Wilk said. “You can’t overlook any Big East opponent, but I like the matchup.”

Georgetown is fresh off of its first Big East series win of the year last weekend, when they took two of three from South Florida. Senior closer Daniel Kennedy was named the Big East pitcher of the week for his work in the series. Kennedy threw four innings, allowing just two hits and one walk while striking out seven batters to earn two saves in the series. Kennedy has yet to give up an earned run this season, but despite his sparkling 0.00 ERA, his record stands at 1-2.

Today’s first pitch is set for 3:15 p.m. in Philadelphia, and Saturday and Sunday’s games will kick off at 12:15 p.m.