Mary Gibson (COL ’05), president of the Georgetown University College Democrats, appeared on Fox News Channel Tuesday night following the Democratic party’s second presidential debate. Gibson spoke on Gretta Van Sustren’s “On The Record” opposite Adam Hunter, president of the Howard University College Republicans.

The debate was originally supposed to feature Gibson and GU College Republicans President David Benjamin (COL ’05), but Benjamin said he believes he was replaced by Hunter so that another school could be represented in the debate.

Gibson and Hunter came on shortly before midnight for approximately five minutes as part of the post-debate commentary and analysis.

Fox News presented the segment as an insight into the political leanings of “Generation Y,” a new generation of voters being courted by both political parties.

“I left feeling I didn’t have enough [time] to properly complain about Bush and explain why any of the Democratic candidates would be a great deal better,” Gibson said after appearing on the show.

During her appearance, Gibson commented on the current state of the economy as well as on the Patriot Act. “We are looking at a bad economy because of Bush’s bad decisions,” Gibson said.

Hunter said that Democrats today “stand on Bush’s coattails,” calling the primary debate a “Bush-bashing affair.”

About the only thing Gibson and Hunter managed to agree on was the performance of candidate Al Sharpton during the primary debate.

“Sharpton was great,” Gibson said, and Hunter agreed that Sharpton stood out and gave him credit for having “the best one-liners.”

Hunter said, “The only candidate who really reaches students is Howard Dean.” Gibson, however, disagreed. “All the candidates were great,” she said, specifically mentioning John Edwards (D-N.C.) and John Kerry (D-Mass.) as personal favorites.

Chris Wooley (COL ’06), communications director for the College Democrats, said that the College Democrats, however, would not endorse any of the candidates. “Our membership has a wide variety of ideologies and supports various candidates,” he said. “It would not be fair for the College Dems to endorse a candidate that many members would not endorse.” Wooley is also a Hoya staff writer.

Benjamin disagreed with Gibson and Wooley on the strength of the Democratic field. “It’s a fairly weak field,” he said. “As a party, they seem pretty confused.”

Benjamin said that he believed that Edwards and Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.) were the only two that stood a chance of defeating President Bush in next fall’s election, but he did not believe either candidate would win the party’s nomination. Benjamin said that Lieberman as the most centrist of the candidates, probably had the best chance of beating Bush but that because he was more conservative, “the party is too ashamed of Lieberman,” he said.

Wooley said that College Democrats would be active in the months leading up to the election.

“We hope to facilitate students to participate in the campaign of their choice, informing them of campaign events and opportunities as they arise. Also, we are working to bring several of the candidates to campus this year,” he said

Gibson said that Tuesday night’s debate was the first in a series of planned events that would draw local and national attention to Georgetown’s chapter of College Democrats.

“The College Democrats are going to be doing a lot this year, things that I believe will put us on the map as one of the most active College Democrats chapters in the U.S.,” she said. “In February, we will be hosting a conference that will prepare its participants, both GU students and Democrats from surrounding schools, for the 2004 campaign.”

Wooley has founded Georgetown Students for Dean and this week students began advertising meetings for Georgetown Students for Kerry.

Benjamin said that in addition to Tuesday night’s speech by Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), the College Republicans would be working to sponsor other events, including a trip to campaign for an upcoming election in Kentucky and possibly a speech by California gubernatorial hopeful Arnold Schwarzenegger.