A former player charged in the Duke University lacrosse scandal last spring has spoken informally with officials in the lacrosse program about potentially transferring to Georgetown to play for the Hoyas, according to members of the Athletic Department. Reade Seligmann recently contacted Dave Urick, Georgetown’s head men’s lacrosse coach, about joining the team, Urick said. Still, any “serious conversation” about Seligmann enrolling at Georgetown, he said, would not take place until the remaining charges against the former Blue Devils midfielder had been resolved. “We’ve had a conversation with him, but it hasn’t gone much beyond that,” Urick said. “There are some things that I think need to work themselves out before any serious conversation would take place, but there has been some interest from his end and we’ve kind of put it on the back burner and waited to see how things develop.” Seligmann and Duke teammates Colin Finnerty and David Evans were charged last spring with rape, sexual assault and kidnapping in connection with a March 2006 team party. Rape charges were dropped in December, but the other two charges have not yet been resolved. In accordance with university policy, Duke suspended the three players last spring pending the resolution of the charges against them. Seligmann and Finnerty were invited to return to classes last month but do not plan to do so while charges are pending; Evans was a senior last spring and graduated in May. All three players have maintained their innocence. Seligmann’s attorney, J. Kirk Osborne, said that he and Seligmann would eventually discuss his return to college and lacrosse, but declined further comment. Three of Seligmann’s high school teammates from the Delbarton School in New Jersey play for the Hoyas, and his brother, Max Seligmann, will join the Hoyas next fall as one of the top midfielders in the Class of 2011. Georgetown is one of 10-15 teams Seligmann has contacted about potentially transferring, according to Mex Carey, director of sports information at Georgetown. The Brown Daily Herald reported Feb. 21 that Bears’ Head Coach Lars Tiffany was actively recruiting Seligmann. Carey said that Georgetown’s discussions with Seligmann have been far less serious. In April 2006, Erik Smulson, then the university spokesperson, denied that Georgetown was recruiting any members of the Duke team in the wake of Duke University President Richard Brodhead’s decision to cancel the remainder of the season. Charles Deacon, dean of undergraduate admission, did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

Have a reaction to this article? Write a letter to the editor.

Comments are closed.