Though last month’s Hurricane Georges swept the Caribbean, its effects have been felt as far away as Washington, D.C. Georgetown students involved in the Caribbean Culture Circle, in conjunction with the Center for Latin American studies, have been raising funds and collecting canned goods for the relief effort. According to Circle President Angel Florentzán (MSB ’99), response so far has been low. Florentzán said the Circle had a table in Red Square on Friday, Oct. 3 to collect money, and has also had a table in the Leavey Center to collect canned goods. Florentzán said the reason for this may be that most of their advertising was done only via e-mail. Through an NBC telethon on Sunday, which also worked to collect aid for hurricane victims, the Caribbean Culture Circle found an agency that could physically deliver the goods to the hurricane victims. In addition to these relief efforts, the Caribbean Culture Circle is also sponsoring “Mi Can’t Believe Mi Eyes,” a reggae party this Saturday from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. in the Village C formal Lounge. Tickets are $3 in advance, and $5 at the door. Kathleen Hosie (SFS ’01), a member of the Circle, said she knows all too well the impact of hurricanes in the Caribbean. Hosie, who lives in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, cited hurricanes as a major drawback to life in the Caribbean. “Every time a storm comes, we have to pack up every little thing in the house, roll up our rugs … It is much deeper than a great annoyance though; these storms are a serious, life-threatening problem where we live.” As a resident of the Caribbean, Hosie said she has survived many hurricanes and typhoons, including the devastating Hurricanes Marilyn and Hugo. “The hurricanes are the scariest thing you’ve ever experienced. Not being able to feel safe in your own home is the worst feeling,” she said. According to Hosie, the aftermath of a hurricane is just as bad as the storm itself. She said that martial law and insanity are the norm until the island is declared a national disaster area and the U.S. Army takes over. Hosie added that in the Virgin Islands, there is a holiday celebrated every November first to thank God for sparing the island from hurricanes. “In a way, I am almost thankful for the experience because out of the devastation comes a deeper appreciation for nature, family, community . things that are taken for granted in the States,” Hosie said. The Caribbean Culture Circle is planning to continue collecting donations in Red Square indefinitely.