Clubs Complete Spring Hiring

FILE PHOTO: DANIEL SMITH/THE HOYA The Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union and the Blue and Gray Tour Guide Society received 167 and 265 applications this spring.
FILE PHOTO: DANIEL SMITH/THE HOYA
The Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union and the Blue and Gray Tour Guide Society received 167 and 265 applications this spring.

The Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union and the Blue and Gray Tour Guide Society received 167 and 265 applications for their spring hiring classes.

GUASFCU fell one short of its spring applicant pool record, hiring 23 tellers out of the 167, at a rate of 13.8 percent, while Blue and Gray accepted 32 new tour guides, or 12.1 percent, from the 265.
Students of Georgetown, Inc. could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Each student group either tweaked or substantially changed its application process this semester in an effort to increase diversity.

Incoming GUASFCU CEO Rupert Kingshott (MSB ’18) said GUASFCU’s new hires are balanced in terms of gender and fell along usual school lines.

“The current teller class has a roughly even split between males and females. About half come from the MSB, with the rest being from the College or SFS. This is a similar proportion to our application pool,” Kingshott wrote in an email to The Hoya.

Blue and Gray President Prayuj Pushkarna (SFS ’17) said that Blue and Gray reduced the importance of the written element of its application and allowed general tour guides to interview prospective applicants in order to expand the number of voices participating in hiring.

The application has changed significantly since the fall, according to Pushkarna. In the fall hiring season, Blue and Gray offered the top 30 percent of written applications a first round interview, while in the spring, all applicants were offered an interview, with the top 30 percent of averaged written applications and first round interviews receiving second round interviews.

Pushkarna said Blue and Gray concluded that the nature of its role mandated that it give all applicants an interview.

“We realized it did not make as much sense to cut people after just the written application because as tour guides, our primary role is face-to-face contact,” Pushkarna said.

Outgoing GUASFCU CEO Chris Grillo (SFS ’17) said GUASFCU plans to continue to widen its outreach efforts.

“We’ve reached out to specific clubs and groups on campus that traditionally have not been very well represented within the intern ranks,” Grillo said.

One tangible step GUASFCU plans to take is to outreach to the office of the Georgetown Scholarship Program, which aids academically distinguished Georgetown students with financial needs.

“Next fall we’re going to fixate on holding office hours in the GSP office. That was a plan we did a little rollout on late into the application process this time around,” Grillo said. “There are plans to get everything scheduled so next year we will be in the GSP office as well.”

Rodrigo Ko (MSB ’20), who was rejected from Corp Accounting in the fall and was hired by Corp Marketing last week, said he did not perceive a huge change in The Corp’s application process from the fall to the spring.

“I don’t think it changed much, honestly. I was greeted with happy, energetic people,” Ko said. “All the interviewers were great, and I didn’t feel much pressure at all. Just my attitude toward the interview changed.”

Even considering the large applicant pool and supposedly imposing process, Ko said he had a great experience — through rejection and acceptance — with The Corp.

“I haven’t gone to an interview where I felt more at home,” Ko said.