In the second half of the month of October, the Georgetown men’s soccer team is learning just how tough the Big East Conference really is. For the second straight game, the Hoyas struggled on the road against a team trailing them in the conference. But Wednesday’s result, thanks in large part to the excellent play of freshman Nate Port, was a 3-2 overtime win at Villanova. For the third time in their last four games since [facing St. John’s on Oct. 16](, the Hoyas were forced to go into overtime to get a Big East win. Against Villanova, Georgetown gave up an early goal in the first half, and found themselves having to fight back in order to win, something they haven’t been able to do all year. Until now. Donovan Hornsby got the Wildcats out to the early lead when he found the back of the net in the fifth minute off an assist from Dave Francalangia. With 48 seconds remaining in the first half, Port scored the first of his two goals, putting it past Wildcat goalie John Allen. Assisting on the play were senior [Eric Kvello]( and sophomore forward Khari Robinson. The Hoyas went into halftime tied in a game they desperately needed to win after [the loss at Providence this past weekend]( Villanova, however, apparently had different plans as Hornsby struck again early, this time in the fourth minute of the second half. With the shots being fairly even throughout the game, and with Georgetown having just a 23-21 advantage at games end, the Hoyas needed offense, and it went to the likely sources. Eric Kvello hooked up with junior midfielder Jason Partenza, who tied the game in the 76th minute. Partenza has been stepping up all year for the Hoyas, and once again, when Georgetown needed him, he was there. The Wildcats and the Hoyas played the next 14 minutes even and went into overtime, where the Hoyas were 1-2 in for the season, with losses to Seton Hall and St. John’s and [coming back to beat Syracuse]( in the extra frame. In a season filled with everyone stepping up at certain times to score goals, Port’s turn was Wednesday. Port came through, tallying his second goal of the day in the 103rd minute to give his team the win. Senior captain Billy Bednarz and sophomore midfielder Bubba Beyer assisted on the game winning play. Georgetown improved to 12-4 on the season, with a 6-4 mark in conference play heading into their last two games, only one of which is in conference. The Hoyas, which fell out of the top 25 for the second time this season, now sits tied for fourth in the Big East with Seton Hall and Providence, two teams which beat Georgetown. The Pirates and the Friars square off against one another this Saturday at Seton Hall. The Hoyas travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass., to take on the Eagles of Boston College this Sunday in another must-win game if Georgetown is get into the post-season. Georgetown played a tough game against the Eagles last year, beating them 1-0 in overtime on Harbin Field. This year, the Eagles are 2-7-1 in the conference and 5-9-2 overall.

Have a reaction to this article? Write a letter to the editor.

Comments are closed.