The Georgetown Public Policy Institute announced Friday that Jacob J. “Jack” Lew (LAW ’83), former director of the Office of Management and Budget under President William Jefferson Clinton (SFS ’68) will join the GPPI faculty as a visiting research professor.

According to a press release issued by the university’s Office of Public Affairs, Lew’s research and teaching will concentrate on issues related to fiscal policy and the budgetary process.

“I’m delighted that Jack will be lending his expertise to the policy community from GPPI,” said GPPI Dean Judith Feder in Friday’s press release. “Not only will our students benefit from his breadth of experience; he will be a tremendous asset to all those interested in the budget and policy process.”

The Georgetown Public Policy Institute, established in 1990, is a graduate studies program committed to students pursuing a masters in public policy. Nationally recognized GPPI faculty include Harry J. Holzer, former chief economist for the Department of Labor; Geraldine A. Ferraro, former Congresswoman and 1984 Democratic vice-presidential candidate; Paul Begala former Clinton campaign and White House advisor and Sheila P. Burke, former chief of staff to Sen. Bob Dole (R.-Kan.) during his tenure as Senate majority leader.

“I’m looking forward to joining Georgetown’s Public Policy Institute and hope to share my practical experiences with distinguished scholars and students in order to advance thinking on some of the most important issues confronting our nation,” Lew said in Friday’s press release.

After graduating from Harvard University and the Georgetown Law Center, Lew served as the domestic policy advisor to House Speaker Thomas P. (Tip) O’Neill, Jr., from 1979 to 1987. Before joining the Clinton administration in 1993 as special assistant to the president, he was an attorney in the private sector. In 1995, Lew became the deputy director of OMB and its director three years later. He also served as executive director of the Center for iddle East Research, as issues director for the Democratic National Committee’s Campaign ’88 and as deputy director of the Office of Program Analysis in the city of Boston’s Office of Management and Budget.

Lew was appointed director of OMB in on May 13, 1998. During his tenure at OMB, Lew assisted the president as a member of his economic team and was involved with all issues relating to the federal budget and management of the executive branch. He also played a key role on President Clinton’s negotiating team, helping to orchestrate deals like the Balanced Budget Act of 1997.

The Office of Management and Budget is charged with assisting the President in the development and execution of his programs and fiscal policies, as well as with assisting in the creation of the federal budget. OMB oversees the preparation of the federal budget and handles all regulatory, legislative and management issues on the President’s behalf.

Julie Greene-Bataille, the university’s assistant vice president for communications, said she believes that Lew will “be a wonderful asset for the GPPI.”

Lew’s term as director of OMB officially ended Saturday when President George W. Bush was inaugurated. He will be succeeded by Mitch Daniels, who has yet to be confirmed by the Senate Government Affairs Committee.