CISR, Stall No More

After a prolonged debate, the Committee on Invests Social Responsibility rejected GU Fossil Free’s plan for divestment and suggested in its place an alternative that would enact change over a lengthened period of time.
CISR recognizes the “real dangers of climate change” and “broad range of moral concerns” regarding investment in fossil fuel companies.

Therefore, CISR has proposed in a statement this week to divest from the top 100 coal companies and in the future to divest from other fossil fuel companies over a “reasonable time period.”

While this proposal is better than not divesting at all, it is certainly not a decision of full divestment that many were hoping to see from the university. Because of Georgetown’s modest endowment and therefore, precarious financial situation, the university is reluctant to divest entirely.

Despite the reality of this situation, Georgetown nevertheless claims to be a leader in environment change and protection, and it should ensure that divestment continues to be a key topic within CISR and board of directors discussions.

It is obvious that Georgetown must continue to push frontiers of divestment in order to uphold the university’s Jesuit doctrines.

One major area of concern within divestment is CISR’s claim to divest within “a reasonable time period.” This proclamation is general in nature and allows Georgetown to take its time in divestment.

In the meantime, it is imperative that Georgetown does not invest in more fossil fuels, which it has stated is a priority in previous press releases, as well as use the divestment issue to further scrutinize other investments to ensure Georgetown maintains its moral value even when examining finances.

With progress, we hope that CISR will make a more resolute decision in the future and continue to keep divestment an issue that is frequently discussed and active.