Name: Chris Esselborn

Sport: Track and field

Event: Distance

Hometown: The Woodlands, Texas

High School: Woodlands High School

School/Year: COL ’05

Major: Psychology

Minor: Sociology

High School Highlights: Ran varsity cross country and track and field all four years at The Woodlands . Helped lead team to State Championships in 1999 and 2000 . Team captain.

Georgetown Highlights: Finished fifth in the 10,000-meter (30:20.33) at the 2002 Junior National Track and Field Championships . Finished 13th at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional as a freshman.

When did you first start running? I ran pretty early, I ran my first 5K when I was three. My dad had me do it. I went out for track in seventh grade and I hated it. But my dad wanted me do it so I went out for it in eighth grade and I ended up liking it after all. So I stuck with it.

Who’s your favorite athlete? Said Aouita. He’s dominated everything from the 800m to the 10K.

What was the best moment in your career so far? Probably last year, we were ranked behind Villanova at the Big East cross country meet, and then we ended up scoring only 29 points. We had five guys in the top 10 and completely destroyed them. The whole team got really psyched up about it. It was awesome.

What’s a typical track practice like? We show up in the locker room, [talk] for a little while, then we warm up two to three miles, work out, then we come back and lift some weights, and then go to the training room and spend maybe 30-45 minutes in there stretching and icing.

Who’s your biggest rival? In our conference it’s Villanova, for sure. But we don’t have a big nationwide rival. I love running with and against Rod [Koborsi]. He’s on the team. He’s from the Houston area, too. We used to race all the time in high school.

If you could run anywhere in the world where would it be? I’ve seen a lot of cool things over in Ireland. It’s nice and green. When I was a young guy I ran a 5K over in Saudi Arabia in the desert. That wasn’t a lot of fun. I was actually born over there.

What is your ethnicity? I’m Irish, English, Indonesian and Aboriginal.

Have you ever run a marathon? No, and I don’t plan on doing it either. It’s 26.2 [miles]. That’s a long way. I think the fun stops at 10,000 meters. That’s the farthest I plan on running.

Favorite pump-up song? I like to listen to “Pattern Against User” by At the Drive-In. They’re my favorite band.

If you could be great at any other sport besides distance running, what would it be? That’s funny, I have this new appreciation for soccer lately, and growing up in Texas, soccer is for girls. I tried to play football up until seventh or eighth grade, and then I realized I was still 4-foot-10 and 76 pounds. So after that, I kind of switched over. But probably soccer; there’s something about it.

Do you have any superstitions? I always do a little prayer right before my race, and even during practice I always make the sign of the cross after each interval. I used to have a whole big thing about eating before races, but I kind of dropped it. I eat whatever I want now.

What’s your favorite class at Georgetown? My favorite class was General Psychology with Professor Sabat. I also took American Presidency. While it wasn’t fun doing all the assignments for that, my professor, Professor Wayne, he was awesome. The stories that came out of that guy’s mouth were so funny.

What do you want to do after you graduate? I’m going to move out of D.C., and I’d like to travel around for a little while before I decide what I’m going to do. But I have no idea.

Who’s your biggest inspiration? My dad. He’s by far the coolest guy I know. He’s like a 64-year-old child. At nationals my freshman year he drove something like 15 or 16 hours to come watch me race, and he’s going to do the same thing this November in Indianapolis.

Favorite place on campus? I used to like the track my freshman year when we had one. They had the lights on, you could watch people exercising for a little while, take in a breath of fresh air. But it’s gone now, so I can’t do that anymore.

What’s your biggest fear? My biggest fear is what keeps me back in sports sometimes: not succeeding. I’m sure it’s a common fear of most people. No one wants to put it out there, but losing sucks. Not meeting expectation is not a fun thing. Last year I was hurt and sick for a little while. I put so much pressure on myself to live up to these expectations that I ended up crumbling. I just had a terrible year last year.

What is your most embarrassing moment? We were at this postseason party, and I dress kind of odd sometimes. There’s a homosexual on the team, and one of my teammates last year decided it would be funny to tell him that I was a homosexual myself and that I was really into him. So what happened was he stalked me the whole night. He followed me home and I closed the door he kept on knocking on the door and he called my house line and my cell phone. He apologized the next day when he sobered up, and it’s funny now but at the time it was really embarrassing.

If you won the lottery, what would you do? I would probably buy a house and sit on my money for a while and just relax. Relaxing is what I like to do. I would probably buy some useless stuff here and there, but I don’t think I would ridiculously spend it.

Favorite food? I have a lot of favorite foods. It’s not my favorite food, but time and time again what shows up in my house is General Tso’s Chicken from Kitchen No. 1. It’s only like 10 bucks, and it lasts for like three days.

What is your dream job? I’d like to run professionally. That would be pretty nice to get paid to just run.

Favorite movie? My all-time favorite is Stand By Me, the one with the kids and the leeches, back when Corey Feldman was still cool. He’s a little off the wall these days.

Least favorite movie? We had this recruit come in last year, and he was from Texas, too, and so coach told me to be buddy-buddy with him. So I’m talking with him, trying to get to know him, to get him to come to Georgetown. So we weren’t really doing anything that night, we were just kind of relaxing, and he wanted to rent Jeepers Creepers 2. That movie was awful.

Summer or winter? Summer, by far. I can’t stand the winters here, too cold. It snowed one time when I was in grade school, and my teacher wouldn’t let us out. Every other kid in the school was outside playing in the snow. She said, “The next time it snows I’ll let you guys out.” It never snowed again, and I was so upset. Then I came here and I was really excited to see snow. It’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

Would you ever skydive? Of course. I’d go with my Pops. He wants to go really bad.

What is your biggest pet peeve? You know in class, someone points something out that’s so ridiculously obvious that there’s no need to say it. I can’t stand that.

Do you have a World Series pick? I don’t even really like the Astros, I am from Houston, but I was hoping they were going to make it out of the [NLCS] and win, just so I could do the whole fair-weather fan thing. But they didn’t. I don’t really care. As much as I don’t like seeing all these people go crazy about Boston, I have nothing against Boston. It would be nice to see them win, I guess.

Is there one thing you want to do before you graduate? Running is the only thing I’m really active with aside from little stuff on my own. I’d like to get involved with some sort of group or organization and see what it’s like, see what clubs or other organizations are going on around campus. Track consumes most of my day, so I’d like to see what else is going on.

What would be your ideal vacation? My uncle has a little piece of land out in Bali, and my mom has been promising me for ages that I was going to get to go out there. One of these days I would just like to go and just bum out there, soak up the sun and maybe do a little surfing out on the coast.

What is the characteristic you most value in a friend? Loyalty, by far. I can’t stand a friend who’s your buddy for like a minute, and then something cooler shows up, and he turns his back or whatever.

If you could switch lives with a person for a day, who would you choose? I’d switch lives with Omar from At the Drive-In, man, he’s a rock star. He doesn’t play for At the Drive-In anymore; he’s with the Mars Volta.