We’re sure you’ve all been running around frantically trying to fill your schedules for next semester since pre-registration opened on Monday. But fear not: the editorial board is here. Whether you’re searching for upper-level courses or simply looking to fill general education requirements, this group of wise seers knows what’s best for you.

So here they are: our unscientific survey of the most intriguing Spring 2008 classes.

INTH-140: Introduction to International Health, Prof. Kathryn Leonhardy

So you’ve heard about the AIDS pandemic in Africa, the threat of Avian Flu and the resurgence of Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis in the world. Ever wonder whether these international health threats might be solved in the future, or whether you could personally have a hand in their eradication? Introduction to International Health, taught by Professor Katherine Leonhardy, helps you envision both global and personal possibilities. This class will prepare you with the knowledge of key disease prevention tools, basic healthcare needs in various countries around the world and how international organizations such as the World Health Organization and World Bank function. And after completing this course, you may just have an idea or two of your own that could make a substantial impact on the future of international health.

GOVT-117: Elements of Political Theory, Fr. James Schall, S.J.

If you have not yet studied the subject matter of Fr. James Schall’s Elements of Political Theory course, your education is egregiously deficient – and Prof. Schall will make you well aware of these shortcomings. The class, taught by the affable and almost 80-year-old Jesuit, serves as an introduction to political philosophy, Schall is one of the few professors who teaches large lecture courses and actually bothers to learn every pupil’s name. He does mandate class attendance, yet this is a small price to pay for Schall’s wisdom. This class is one of the few genuinely interesting survey courses for the legions of government majors, and it is also an interesting elective for anyone hoping to round out a class schedule next spring.

SOC-285: Sociology of Terrorism, Prof. William Daddio

Do you think the media and government failed to give you a complete explanation of 9/11? If so, the Sociology of Terrorism is the course for you. This class provides an in-depth examination of the psychology of extremists and why they resort to violent means, and it also delves into detailed descriptions of how the Sept. 11 terrorists planned, trained and executed the three crucial attacks on the United States. Daddio, one of the most popular professors on campus. also explores the government response to 9/11 and its implementation of new anti-terrorism laws. Having worked with a police department and now with the government, he is able to explain the sociology of terrorism with uncommon insight.

ARTP-080: Public Speaking, Prof. Sue Roeglin

Before giving a speech, does your heart start to race and your legs shake? Luckily, there is hope for you in Professor Roeglin’s public speaking course. This entertaining and educational course helps students enhance their public speaking skills by allowing them to examine interesting current events. Roeglin is fascinated by new oratorical techniques and is keenly interested in our generation’s issues and concerns. So if you want to stop those butterflies from fluttering around your stomach, take Prof. Roeglin’s course, and you will be able to speak confidently in front of any audience.

THEO-014-01: Power and Politics in Biblical Tradition, Fr. James Walsh, S.J.

Taking a course with Fr. James Walsh, S.J., can only be described as participating in a Georgetown tradition. Drawing on his own extensive knowledge of ancient languages and cultures, Fr. Walsh leads his class on an adventure through the political struggles of the ancient Near East. The course provides a rich overview of the little-known mythologies of ancient Mesopotamian and Ugarit peoples, and he explains how the terms and characters that they created continue to play a powerful role in contemporary religion and politics. If you are still looking for a way to satisfy that theology requirement – or even if you are just interested in taking a course that will radically expand your understanding of ancient government – this is a class for you.

HESY-010: Healthcare in America: The Fractured System, Prof. Robin Goldenberg

No matter what career path currently interests you, be it diplomacy, international banking, or working at the Tombs, you will inevitably have to deal with the issue of healthcare. So when it comes time deciding which 2008 presidential candidate’s proposed healthcare plan is best for the country, or simply selecting a plan for yourself, it might be useful to know the difference between an HMO and a PPO. Healthcare in America: The Fractured System provides a basic introduction to the structure and function of the American healthcare system, in addition to outlining some of the key shortcomings and looming crises. As an added bonus, healthcare is one industry that is guaranteed never to disappear, so this knowledge comes with a fully backed lifetime warranty of usefulness.

CLSS-120: Intro to Roman Archaeology, Prof. Jessica Nitschke

Imagine, if you will, living in an action adventure film that takes place in the First Century, A.D. Well, you can if you take Intro to Roman Archaeology. The course is offered by the often-under-appreciated classics department, and provides an excellent understanding of the history of the art, politics and culture of the Roman Empire. In past years, the course was taught by Georgetown’s resident archaeologist, Professor Catherine Keesling, but this year the class will be taught by visiting professor Jessica Nitschke. Either way, students in this class will not be disappointed. This course satisfies the humanities and writing requirement for all Georgetown students.