During my time here on the Hilltop, I don’t know how many times I have heard the complaint that Georgetown students don’t venture out into the “real part of the city.” Instead, young Hoyas prefer to remain in their safe little northwest D.C. neighborhood and go to Champs or Rhinos every night.

This semester I am going to do my part to change this misconception. Yes, I will attempt to be downtown as much as I can stand it. Will I be down there to experience the plethora of museums, restaurants and cultural events the District has to offer? Well, maybe every now and then. It is much more likely, however, that you will find me hanging out somewhere near the Chinatown etro stop. Only two reasons lie behind my decision to get out more often: Michael Jordan and Jaromir Jagr.

There is one thing that I feel I should make clear: Michael Jordan has not officially announced his comeback yet. If, however, you think he will not return, you should put on a big pointy hat and sit in the corner because you are a dunce. From the beginning, every sign has pointed to Jordan’s return. The latest indication came last week, when the Wizards’ Web site accidentally placed him on the team’s active player roster.

At any rate, tickets for the Wizards and Capitals will go on sale any day now, and you can bet that this is one time I will be glad to wait on hold, as well as pay Ticketmaster’s obscene service charges, in order to get my hands on some five-by-one-inch pieces of paper. I urge all of you to do the same. For if you pass up a chance to see the greatest professional basketball player in history, or the greatest hockey player of the past decade, I guarantee you will be kicking yourself in 30 years. I know if my kids were lounging on the sofa, watching Jordan battle Iverson on ESPN Classic, I’d want to be telling stories about going to games at MCI Center while I was in college.

I am completely aware that nobody wants to go support bad teams, or go to boring games. I am also aware that the Wizards compiled the worst record in the NBA last season, and that about four people show up for every Caps home game. This doesn’t matter. Jordan’s return will not make the Wizards magically better, and the addition of Jagr to the Capitals will not mean more wild screaming from the seats, because owner and Georgetown grad Ted Leonsis has brilliantly raised ticket prices an exorbitant amount.

There is also the issue of having old loyalties to uphold. Those of you from upstate New York don’t have to stop rooting for the Sabres, and those of you from Los Angeles don’t have to stop blabbering about the impending Lakers three-peat, even though the rest of us wish you would, just because Washington now contains two of most exciting sports figures in the world. Heck, if you can’t stand watching two organizations you don’t care about compete, don’t buy tickets until your team comes to town. If your team has a good, nationwide following, this can be especially fun. Try going to a game between the Orioles and the Yankees sometime and you’ll see what I mean.

The bottom line is that you should just go. Going to a game costs maybe $40 or $50, and takes up just four hours of your time, travel time included. If you’re one of those people who fuels the view of Georgetown students described at the beginning of the article, you’d probably save on time and money. Besides, watching Michael Jordan sink a few jump shots on a Wednesday night is much more fun than holding your roomie’s head over the toilet after a few too many on M Street.

And even if you had to bend over backwards to get downtown, I would still recommend going. Never before has one city had two stars so great at one time. Philadelphia during the Julius Erving and Steve Carlton era is the only place I can think of that comes close. Don’t just sit around watching MTV this fall. Go to a game. You’ll be glad you did.

Chin Music Sports Serve as Symbol, Pro Athletes Should Play Ball -Sep. 14, 2001 Gridiron Greatness Found In the Least Likely of Places -Sep. 7, 2001