Chiefs: Undefeated for Now

Halfway through the NFL regular season, it is hard to believe that the Kansas City Chiefs are the only team with an undefeated record. In the AFC West, everyone focused on the high-powered Broncos offense, and analysts gave little thought that another team could challenge them for the division lead.

The Chiefs were supposed to be near the bottom — exactly where they have been in the past. Last year, the Chiefs were arguably the worst team in football, finishing with a miserable 2-14 record. Quarterback Matt Cassel looked jittery in the pocket, running back Jamaal Charles seemed to have lost his pop and the porous defense regularly gave up 25 to 30 points per game. Attendance at Arrowhead Stadium was lackluster, with embarrassed fans regularly donning paper bags over their heads.

This year is a completely different story. Those same fans just broke the record for the loudest stadium crowd in the world a few weeks ago. What on earth happened in Kansas City? First of all, the Chiefs have found a way to be the top-ranked defense in the entire league. Under the leadership of veterans Tamba Hali, Brandon Flowers and Eric Berry, the Chiefs are allowing only 13 points per game and outscoring opponents 215-111 this season. On the offensive side of the ball, Charles once again has had flashes of brilliance, averaging over 120 total yards per game. In fact, he is on pace for a remarkable 2,000-yard season and to shatter his previous career highs in touchdowns, receptions and yards per game. Charles’ electricity is complemented by quarterback Alex Smith, whom the Chiefs picked up from the 49ers in the offseason. Although he is probably one of the most boring quarterbacks in the NFL — rarely throwing the ball more than 10 yards down the field — he has not made too many mistakes this season, losing only two fumbles and throwing four interceptions thus far.

And, Andy Reid is at the helm, hired in the offseason after being fired by the Philadelphia Eagles. The “giant red tomato with a mustache” has coached Kansas City to wins over Dallas, Philadelphia, Cleveland and others in nine straight weeks, and he even beat the Jaguars by 26 points — the franchise’s largest margin of victory since 1963.

Entering its bye week, the stats all point in Kansas City’s favor. They have the best record, the fewest turnovers, the strongest defense and broke the decibel record for the loudest game in NFL history. Still, something does not feel right. After all, it is the Chiefs. They are good — but maybe they are not the best. Can this historically underperforming franchise really be better than the Seahawks, Broncos, Colts or Patriots? They still have a “0” in the loss column, but the record only tells half of the story. Who have they really beaten? Wins over the Jaguars, Giants, Raiders and Texans were cakewalks, and against better teams they barely managed to squeak by with a victory. Meanwhile, the 8-1 Seahawks have only lost one game, a narrow defeat at the hands of the impressive Colts, and the 7-1 Broncos still have the most high-powered offense in the league.

I don’t think the Chiefs’ fairy tale will last much longer. They face the Broncos in Denver next week, and I’m betting Kansas City will be handed its first loss of the season. The rest of their schedule gets harder — they play the Broncos again after Thanksgiving and finish off the season with games against the Colts and Chargers.

In a way, the Chiefs are like a flashback to traditional smash-mouth football. They have the old-school recipe for success: run the ball and play defense. With the advent of high-flying offenses and arms like Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers, many teams have abandoned this style of play. Perhaps that is why the Chiefs’ run is so unexpected: We have simply forgotten that the old-school method still works. Kansas City’s improbable run to the top has surprised analysts and thrilled fans, but only time will tell if the Chiefs’ strong start will conclude in a storybook ending.

Nick Fedyk is a senior in the College. More Than a Game appears every Friday.