Joyce

Senior vice president Christopher Joyce resigned his position as chief financial officer and university treasurer yesterday, after serving in the position for just over 10 months.

Joyce, the second CFO to depart in the past two years, officially announced his decision in a university press release. According to an advanced copy of a broadcast email that will be sent today, Joyce is leaving in order to “pursue other interests.”

The position is responsible for overall management and organization of the university’s financial affairs.

“Under Chris’s leadership, we have improved our understanding of our underlying performance and drivers, developed a closer integration of our operating and capital planning processes, strengthened our foundational financial reporting systems, and developed clearer options in terms of resource allocation and performance improvement,” University President John J. DeGioia said in the e-mail.

While the university’s endowment has failed to reach its benchmark in the last three years, Joyce oversaw a growth in endowment from $610 million at the end of the fiscal year in June to $650 million in October.

“I have asked Chris Augostini, associate vice president for business and financial affairs at the Law Center, to take on the position . effective immediately,” DeGioia said.

In choosing him to fill the position, DeGioia hailed Augostini’s talents as a manager, as well as his in-depth knowledge of Georgetown’s current financial situation.

According to wire reports, Augostini was considered a top candidate for a position as Maryland state budget director in 2002.

Augostini and Joyce could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Before joining the Georgetown Law Center in 2000, Augostini served the City of New York in a variety of positions, working as the Chief of Staff for New York’s Deputy Mayor for Operations. From 1995 to 1999, he worked in the City of New York’s Office of Management and Budget where he oversaw the fiscal impact of proposed legislation. Before working for the City of New York, Augostini served in a variety of positions within the New York State General Assembly, including principal fiscal analyst for the Committee on Ways and Means. He holds a B.A. and M.A. from the State University of New York at Albany.