Image Contributor
Senior attacker Brendan Cannon

As the final seconds ticked away, the men’s lacrosse team could breathe a sigh of relief. Things were back on track.

After struggling offensively during an 11-6 loss to Maryland in the season opener and in the second half of Sunday’s loss at Syracuse, No. 11 Georgetown found itself with a 1-2 record for the first time in 20 years. The Hoyas responded by exploding for 18 goals, the most in a game since 2002, in an 18-10 romp of No. 8 Delaware on Wednesday.

“You have to give the guys a lot of credit. They turned it around after a tough loss on Sunday,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Urick said. “That’s a good Delaware team, so I’m proud of our effort.”

Georgetown entered the second quarter with a 1-0 lead before Delaware, who lost to Johns Hopkins in the Final Four last season, heated up offensively. In a two-minute span, the Blue Hens dominated Georgetown in faceoffs and took advantage of their extra opportunities to go on a 3-0 run.

Their third and final goal of the run was symptomatic of the way the quarter started for the Hoyas. After taking a 2-1 lead, Delaware sophomore midfielder Tommy Lee won the ensuing faceoff and outran the Georgetown defender down the field for an unassisted goal and a 3-1 lead.

The veteran Hoyas never panicked, however, and responded with a 4-0 run of their own led by senior attacker Brendan Cannon, a Tewaaraton trophy candidate for this season. With the game tied 3-3 after a long-range goal from sophomore midfielder Andrew Brancaccio and a goal from junior midfielder Chris Taylor, Cannon took over. His first score came as he wrapped around the net and found an opening in the defense to beat Delaware goalkeeper Tom Scherr.

His second goal showed the crowd of 896 just how well he can perform. Cannon took the ball from the right wing and ripped a shot while driving to the net that Scherr blocked, but the ball bounced right back to the driving Cannon. The senior calmly and fluidly took the ball around the net to the left side before fooling Scherr to give the Hoyas a 5-3 lead.

“We’re not surprised to score 18 goals on a good team because of the talent that we have,” Cannon said, deflecting any personal accomplishments in favor of his team. “Today was a good example of us putting the talent, execution and discipline out on the field.”

Leading 7-4 entering the second half, Georgetown was determined to not let another team back into the game in the second half, and Brancaccio set the tone early with another one of his signature long range shots, this time from 18 yards out to put the Hoyas in front 8-4.

“I’m not really thinking about it too much,” the sophomore said of his performance.”I’m just shooting. I’m not trying to aim it for any particular place.”

Georgetown added three more goals before the Blue Hens were able to counter to make the score 11-5. The key to the Georgetown’s third quarter run was its 9-3 advantage in faceoffs thanks to the efforts of senior midfielder Dan Vinson.

“I’ll tell you, that kid works his tail off in practice,” Urick said. “We ask him to play attack and simulate the other guy’s attack, and he does that. We ask him to play midfield, and he does that. We ask him to drive the bus, he’ll do that.”

With a 15-7 lead entering the fourth quarter, the Hoyas were far from complacent as they continued to attack the Delaware zone defense. A goal by sophomore attacker Ricky Mirabito off Cannon’s third assist in the game and another Brancaccio goal put the game away at 17-9, but Georgetown saved its best score for last.

With four minutes remaining in the game, sophomore attacker Craig Dowd found a streaking senior attacker Andrew Baird who took the pass and, in his best Steve Nash impression, scored on a behind-the-back trick shot for his fourth goal of the game and the Hoyas’ 18th.

“Their execution was the best we’ve seen this year,” Delaware Head Coach Bob Shillinglaw said after the game. “They did a great job of finishing the ball.”

The offense stole the spotlight in this one, but the defense was spectacular, forcing the previously undefeated Blue Hens into bad shots and even worse passes. Urick did not lose sight of his team’s defensive effort and was quick to give them credit, highlighting the efforts of senior defender Jerry Lambe and senior goalkeeper Miles Kass, who combined to hold Delaware attacker Curtis Dickson, who entered the game with 17 goals on the season, to just two goals in the game.

“Jerry did a really good job on Dickson, and Miles continues to play well,” Urick said.

Urick said he understood the importance of this game for his team as it heads into ECAC play this weekend, and he was happy with the results his team showed.

“You can only ask them to respond, and I thought we did that extremely well. They turned it around on a tough trip home.”

Next up for Georgetown is a meeting with Hobart Saturday at noon on the Multi-Sport Facility.