Candidates Launch Bids for GUSA Senate Seats

Candidates vying for seats representing 17 residential districts and at-large spots in the Georgetown University Student Association Senate mobilized their campaigns at midnight Thursday, marking the beginning of an election season that will conclude with voting on Sept. 30.

“Students are primarily concerned with balance. A balance of work and fun, strenuous activities and relaxed ones, and making college as enjoyable as it is challenging. I feel the scope of GUSA’s influence can help students achieve this balance,” said freshman Matthew Morris, a first-time candidate running in the Village C West district.

For some office-seekers, including Morris, the districts are highly specialized.

“My district is comprised of entirely freshmen. As freshmen the people in my district are concerned primarily with starting out on the right foot and finding their niche on campus.” Morris said.

Incumbent candidates emphasized their past experience as GUSA senators to promote their candidacy this semester.

“My experience working on funding reform in the GUSA Senate puts me in a position to continue working for students without spending time to learn the ropes,” Sandy Glassberg (MSB ’11) said.

Joseph Brennan (COL ’12), a candidate for an off-campus seat, emphasized the needs of students living off campus and his personal experience with these issues.

“I live off campus and understand the challenges that off-campus students face. I would love to help GUSA direct more focus toward the issues that the off-campus community cares about, including the lack of on-campus parking, limited bike space, expanding [Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle] service and – most importantly – Metro fare discounts,” he said.

Another off-campus topic of concern for candidates is the tenuous issue of 61-D citations.

“In my district, the off-campus community, I think relations with our non-student neighbors are very important. If re-elected, I would very much like to lessen the severity of punishments for noise violations,” Adam Mortillaro (COL ’12) said. “A 61-D is a little extreme for a loud party.”

Still other candidates have chosen to focus their campaigns on broader issues, such as sophomore Vetone Izevag and her emphasis on environmental issues.

“Although the university and its students have made great progress in the `Go Green’ initiative, I would like to strive toward implementing low-flow faucets in dorms and campus buildings in an effort to transform Georgetown University as a leader in campus environmental sustainability,” Izevag said.

Some of the candidates said they hope to enhance GUSA’s role on campus.

“The GUSA Senate exists in order to voice the needs and desires of the Georgetown student body, and therefore a better relationship between the senate and the students needs to be created,” said Marissa Brogger (SFS ’13), a candidate for an at-large senate seat.

Candidates use a variety of tactics in order to reach their would-be constituents.

Freshman Matthew Chung said he hopes to meet with constituents individually to formulate his platform. “I think that my campaign strategy is just to meet as many people as possible. I will be going door to door all of next week to try to meet with everyone in the district. I want to hear their opinions and their grievances. I think that the personal approach is the most effective way to get your message out,” Chung said.

Freshman Denis Peskov,a candidate in the Village C West district, agreed. “Talking to people is arguably a fairly effective way of reaching out.”

Some candidates hope to reach students through mechanisms such as Facebook groups and posting flyers.

On the other hand, others vying for senate seats have some less traditional campaign tactic ideas.

“I hope to have an open dorm room at some point before the election where people can feel free to come and hang out and everyone can get to know each other,” Morris said.