Campus Briefs

KENT, Ohio, April 12 – Autopsy results Monday on a John Carroll University freshman shed no light on what caused the 19-year-old to collapse and die at a Kent State Delta Upsilon rave party over the weekend.

Jared R. Chrzanowski, of Willoughby, was pronounced dead at Robinson Memorial Hospital at 4:28 a.m. Sunday, Kent police said. Paramedics were called at 3:43 a.m. and responded to the fraternity house at 202 S. Lincoln St. after members found Chrzanowski unconscious and unresponsive in a second-floor bedroom.

“Right now all we have is a 19-year-old white male that died unexpectedly from unknown causes,” said Wayne Enders, an administrator at the Portage County Coroner’s Office.

“We will be able to say nothing definitively until we get back the toxicology and microscopic tissue exam. That could be up to three weeks away.”

Lt. Ray Stein of the Kent City Police Department said there were no signs that Chrzanowski had been in a fight, and there was no evidence of drug use in the fraternity house. Delta Upsilon President Mike Pfahl said it is his fraternity’s strict rules that keep illegal substances out.

The party was by invitation only, and Chrzanowski was invited by a fraternity brother, Pfahl said. The fraternity posts people at the door to check identification. They use a system called the “A-Team” during parties, where brothers wear orange security shirts and use radios to communicate problems to each other. These members stay sober.

“It was the perfect party,” Pfahl said. “Everything was running right.”

However, two people who asked to remain anonymous had a different version of what occurred at the Delta Upsilon house Saturday night.

One source said a fraternity member openly spoke about the use of the drug Ecstasy in the house Saturday night.

“(A member) told me he was going to roll, but he told me it was chipped up and it was shady,” the source said. Users say “rolling” is the jovial, jittery feeling Ecstasy gives. The source explained that by being “chipped up” and “shady,” the drug looked like it had been tampered with.

“I didn’t see anybody doing any drugs,” the second source said. “But you could tell that there were probably drugs there. “

The source is under 21 but had a beer that night. Other underage friends had more alcohol.

Pfahl said everything was fine around 3:30 a.m., when the party security radioed him to say there was a problem upstairs.

Kent City EMS cleared the fraternity brothers out of the room while they tended to Chrzanowski. Some members followed the attendants out into the yard. When the ambulance pulled away, its lights were flashing, but the siren was silent.

“It was real solemn,” a witness passing the scene said. “The brothers were circled up, arm and arm, praying.”

– By Shannon Beatty, Daily Kent Stater

Brigham Young Senior Killed in Car Accident

PROVO, Utah, April 12 – Tammy Lynn Campbell Bodrero, 27, a senior from Provo, was killed Friday morning on Interstate 15 when her northbound car crossed into southbound traffic and collided with a semi-truck.

Bodrero was on her way to work at Kearns High School in Salt Lake City, where she taught home economics.

According to witnesses, she lost control of her car after construction debris left in the road blew out her tire, said Betsy Bodrero, the mother of Jonathon Bodrero, Tammy’s husband.

Bodrero was taken to Timpanogos Regional Hospital where she died at 7:30 a.m.

Bodrero was scheduled to graduate with a degree in home economics and a minor in Spanish teaching this August.

– By Amber Meager, The Daily Universe

Duke Student Violates Restraining Order

DURHAM, N.C., April 12 – Campus police arrested a Pratt senior April 4 for violating a domestic violence protective order, said aj. Robert Dean of the Duke University Police Department.

A female student obtained the protective order Feb. 29 stating that the man had to stay away from her and could not make any threats toward her, including posting threats or electronic messages about their relationship on DevilNet. Dean said the arrested student posted several messages on DevilNet that violated the judge’s order.

The arrested student – 23-year-old Albert Estok – has a court date set for April 19.

The victim says that after their month-and-a-half relationship ended in December 1998, Estok began harassing her. This semester, she said, the harassment “has gotten progressively worse” and has included phone calls, e-mails, in-person contact and DevilNet postings. The domestic violence protective order prohibited Estok from coming within 50 feet of the victim, going to her workplace or posting messages on DevilNet.

The victim, who is at Duke on an ROTC scholarship, said she was particularly alarmed by the postings in which Estok seemed to threaten to ruin her career or to break into her apartment.

“It’s very clear to me that he’s talking to me…,” she said, adding that he has also threatened to harass her family. “He seems intent on ruining my ROTC career. He thinks he has evidence of my character and life that will make me lose my scholarship.”

– By Staff, The Chronicle

Tape Shows Knight Grabbing IU Player

BLOOMINGTON, Ind., April 12 – A CNN/Sports Illustrated report which aired Tuesday night revealed a 1997 IU basketball tape that showed coach Bob Knight grabbing a former player by the throat. Neil Reed, who started 72 games for the Hoosiers, identified himself as that player.

Gregg Elkin, former sports information director for IU basketball, said parts of practices are taped and that Knight uses the videos as teaching tools. He said only managers and coaches have access to them.

Though the incident occurred three years ago, Reed said he had not seen the tape until CNN/SI showed it to him.

“It was disgusting to me. I don’t need a tape to tell me what happened,” Reed told CNN/SI. “It might help with other people … I don’t know, I’ve seen it enough in my head … and when I watch it, it’s disgusting for me to watch it. If it weren’t me, I’d be disgusted.”

The tape shows Knight approaching the player at midcourt and putting his hand around the player’s neck for about two seconds, forcing the player’s neck to jerk back.

IU trustees John Walda and Fred Eichhorn, along with Vice President for Public Affairs and Government Relations Christopher Simpson and Vice President for Administration Terry Clapacs viewed the tape at CNN in Atlanta. Simpson said they watched the tape at regular speed and that Walda was the only one who would comment publicly. He also said he didn’t know where CNN/SI got the tape.

“All these people think they know better than he does,” Elkin said. “It’s a joke. CNN spends a year to come up with all this stuff? That’s a guy who should be fired for wasting their money.

“[Knight’s] record speaks for itself – on the floor and in the classroom, it speaks for itself. You can’t please everybody every second of the day.”

– By Heather Dinich, Daily Student

Professors’ Salaries Increase Annually

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va., April 12 – American collegiate faculty members’ salaries increased by 3.7 percent this year, according to the American Association of University Professors’ annual salary report released this week.

The AAUP reported that the average salary of a full-time faculty member rose from $56,282 last year to $58,352 this year.

The report found full-time professors earn an average of $76,197 nationwide. The average full-time University professor’s salary is $101,179, a 4.78 percent increase from $96,501 last year.

Twenty-eight other schools have an average professor salary of over $100,000. Last year, only 19 schools had an average professor salary over $100,000.

The survey omits medical school professors because their pay is usually much higher than other faculty members’ salaries.

The national averages are $55,315 for associate professors, $45,528 for assistant professors, $34,662 for instructors and $38,075 for lecturers. The report was based on a survey of 1,761 institutions.

– By Maria Tor, Cavalier Daily

– Compiled from University Wire