EVANSTON, Ill., March 28 – Northwestern’s new medical research facility got a shot in the arm March 9 with a $40 million gift from an NU trustee – the third largest donation in the history of Campaign Northwestern.

Ann Lurie’s gift will be used toward building the $200 million Robert H. Lurie Medical Research Center, named for her late husband.

Administrators said the facility is vital to the growth of NU’s edical School.

“It’s hugely important,” University President Henry Bienen said. “It’s the single biggest project of construction we’ve undertaken in quite some time.”

Bienen said the facility will enable the university to devote more resources to major public health issues.

“It will vastly increase the number of medical researchers we have working on significant problems,” he said.

The 12-story building will house offices and more than 200,000 square feet of research space for studying genetics, cancer, bioengineering, molecular medicine and neuroscience. About 700 researchers, technicians, postdoctoral students and lab assistants will work in the center.

Lurie’s gift is not her first to the university. In 1999, Lurie established an endowed chair at the Medical School named for Diana, Princess of Wales. She also has hosted fund-raisers for the School of Music.

The Lurie gift brings total donations to the $1 billion Campaign Northwestern to about $880 million. Administrators said they expect the campaign will reach its goal well before the August 2003 target.

The building is scheduled to open in 2003.

-By Casey Newton, Daily Northwestern

Official Found Dead; Police Suspect Suicide

ANN ARBOR, Mich., March 28 – An employee of the University’s Information and Technology Division was found dead Tuesday morning of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Kurt Zimmer, 41, was found in an ITD office by a security guard at Arbor Lakes Office Complex. There was no readily apparent motivation for suicide and results of an autopsy are expected Wednesday. The Department of Public Safety is investigating the matter.

Zimmer was a university graduate and had been an accountant for ITD since 1998. He was an Ann Arbor City Council Member until 1994.

“He was dedicated to his political beliefs and his family,” Councilman Joe Upton (R-Ward V) said. Zimmer left city council around the time his first child was born, Upton said.

Employees with offices near Zimmer’s were sent home as a result of the investigation.

Wanda Monroe, spokeswoman for the CIO, said Zimmer entered the building at 1:17 a.m. on Monday, but it was unclear when the shot was fired.

Zimmer is survived by his wife, Carol, and their two children.

-By David Enders, Michigan Daily

GHB Drug Is Becoming Popular Among Students

TOLEDO, Ohio, March 27 – The latest college danger looks and feels like ordinary tap water, yet can cause symptoms ranging from dizziness to death when consumed.

The drug GHB, a powerful central nervous system depressant, has become popular at establishments on and around college campuses, forcing Congress to tighten rules concerning the drug.

“GHB, which stands for Gamma-HydroxyButyric, is a tasteless, odorless and colorless drug that is used in various amounts to enable someone to commit sexual assaults,” said Diane Docis, interim coordinator of the University of Toledo sexual assault education and prevention program.

According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, the drug is also known as Georgia Home Boy, Goop, Gamma-oh, and Grievous Bodily Harm in street use.

Docis said that possession or distribution of the drug is illegal, and punishable by a prison term of up to 20 years.

Three Michigan men were convicted of involuntary manslaughter arch 14 for spiking a 15-year-old girl’s drink with GHB. The high school student, who was given a Mountain Dew containing the substance, slipped into a coma and later died.

“It is not a recreational drug,” Docis said.

President Clinton signed a bill Feb. 18 which toughens federal laws concerning GHB.

The “Hillory J. Farias and Samantha Reid Date-Rape Drug Prohibition Act of 2000” makes funds available for information gathering, testing and educational programs about GHB.

-By Pete Covrett, The Collegian

Three Fraternities Prepare to Go Dry

DURHAM, N.C., March 28 – “Dry in 2000.” The catch-phrase has been discussed and debated around campus and even parodied on the “Dry in 3000” T-shirts some fraternity members are wearing these days. But to the 11 national fraternities that have required their chapters to eliminate alcohol from their living quarters, the deadline is no laughing matter.

Even as they advocate fraternities ridding their houses or sections of alcohol, the national organizations have sent only vague messages about how the groups should actually do it.

Under the new policy, fraternity living areas must be dry, although alcohol can be present at out-of-section events. Of the fraternities mandating that their chapters be dry by December, only three are represented at the university: Delta Sigma Phi, Phi Delta Theta and Sigma Nu. Theta Chi will follow suit by 2003.

Jon Hockman, national chair of the Alcohol Free Housing Alliance and executive director of Delta Sigma Phi fraternity, said the nationals do not intend to police local chapters.

“We assert our own policies and expect our members to follow them,” he said. “For example, we have a policy that protects against hazing. If we are notified that a violation has occurred, we respond immediately and accordingly – it’s the same thing.”

Brothers in Delta Sig, Phi Delt and Sigma Nu agreed that cloudy communication between national and individual chapters makes their task of drying out their sections more difficult.

“There has been a lot of talk at meetings about the fact that we are supposed to ‘go dry,’ but I don’t think any of us know exactly what that means,” said Trinity sophomore Greg Baecher, vice president of Delta Sig.

-By Caroline Wilson, The Chronicle

More Racist E-mail Sent to Minority Clubs

STANFORD, Calif., March 29 – For the second time this month, members of several Stanford University campus ethnic student groups received racist e-mails containing sexually explicit slurs against blacks.

The latest set of e-mails was sent out Monday evening, and the university launched an investigation immediately, according to Vice Provost for Student Affairs James Montoya. The identity of the sender is not known.

Two separate e-mails, both from an off-campus address, were sent to the lists for all resident assistants and resident fellows. One of the e-mails was also sent to the Black Graduate Student Association, the Society of Black Engineers and several other ethnic student organizations.

The e-mails appeared to be sent in response to two separate e-mail forwards sent out across campus over the RA list. One forward described an African and Afro-American Studies class, and the other announced upcoming rush events for Alpha Phi Alpha, a black fraternity.

The Alpha Phi Alpha announcement was sent out by sophomore Sean cIntosh.

“I’m angry,” McIntosh said. “It’s very embarrassing … very offensive as an African-American, especially at a university where you’re a minority.”

Director of Residential Education Jane Camarillo said, “We have once again been assailed by the ignorance of a person who uses the anonymity of e-mail to promote simple-minded prejudices.”

-By Jessica Tucker-Mohl, The Daily

-Compiled from University Wire