VILLANOVA, Pa., March 24 – The staff of the Conservative Column added to their troubles with the university last week when their column was confiscated after what appears to be an apparent misunderstanding between administration and the CC. Hours after the arch 15 edition was distributed, Tom Mogan, director of Student Development, collected all of the copies.

“Like any other organization [that] wants to apply for recognition from the university, they filled out a petition,” said ogan. On this petition, members of the CC indicated that they would find an advisor.

On Tuesday, the day before the issue came out, Mogan insisted that the CC find an advisor and asked when the next issue was coming out. “[Rob Lilik] indicated he was not sure … I said that ‘you aren’t a recognized student group, and therefore, you can’t distribute materials on campus,'” said Mogan.

Lilik, who describes himself as, “Catholic, conservative, pro-life, pro-gun and proud of it,” contends that the issue was pulled due to its content, specifically because of the a fake advertisement displaying a picture of an aborted fetus with the caption, “First Union Bank: A Proud Sponsor of Planned Parenthood and CHOICE! Turn Your Catholic Cash into Blood Money!” Mogan stresses that the issue was not pulled due to content or because of the picture of the aborted fetus. Rather, it was pulled because he asked Lilik not to distribute the issues in the first place.

Lilik’s defense includes a voice message he said was left for him by Mogan on his answering machine. “Tom Mogan said, ‘We obviously have serious concerns about the content of the Conservative Column,'” said Lilik. “‘Therefore, I will be removing all issues of the Conservative Column that I see.'”

-By Ashley Tate, The Villanovan

Mandatory Student Fees Rule Upheld

MADISON, Wis., March 23 – The U.S. Supreme Court unanimously decided Wednesday to maintain University of Wisconsin-Madison’s mandatory student fees system after hearing the case, University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents v. Southworth, last November.

The decision is based on the original case filed by former UW law students against UW April 2, 1996, with the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin. The plaintiffs disputed UW’s mandatory segregated fee system, claiming it violated their First Amendment rights of free speech by obligating them to financially support organizations that did not coincide with their personal political and ideological beliefs.

“The First Amendment permits a public university to charge its students an activity fee used to fund a program to facilitate extracurricular student speech if the program is viewpoint-neutral,” Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the report.

-By Alicia Hammond, Badger Herald

Kozmo.com Wants To Deliver Alcohol

BOSTON, March 22 – An Internet company considering delivering beer and wine to Boston residents is facing an ice-cold reception from area universities and law enforcement officials. Kozmo.com, an Allston-based online business, withdrew its liquor application from the Boston Licensing Board Tuesday, after representatives from Boston University, Boston College, Harvard University and the Boston Police Department joined forces to oppose the company’s bid.

Officials representing area universities believe the company’s plan to sell beer and wine on its Web site and deliver it to residences would make it easier for underage students living off campus to obtain alcohol. “Kozmo.com does a lot of business on the campus, and most of our students are not of legal drinking age,” said Boston College spokesman William Mills. “We do not want to give our students any opportunities to purchase alcohol outside of the stores.”

Kozmo.com, an online business that was introduced to the Boston area in October, planned to add alcohol to its growing list of available items, which includes videos, magazines and snacks. Customers purchase products with a credit card and can expect delivery to their homes within an hour of their order. Will Weddleton, general manager of Boston’s Kozmo.com branch, said the company has postponed its application for a liquor license until the anxieties of the community have been addressed appropriately.

“We would certainly not allow delivery to college campuses, and we would comply with all ID restrictions,” Weddleton said. “We are committed to not contributing to underage drinking.” Conceivably, Weddleton said, entire zip codes can be restricted from delivery to ensure the exclusion of college campuses. The company would also restrict its alcohol service to one delivery per day at an address, consisting of no more than four six-packs of beer per order. Plans have also been discussed by Kozmo.com to prohibit the delivery of kegs and terminate all alcohol service at 10 p.m. Despite the company’s plans to restrict delivery to campuses, school officials fear the service will make it easier for underage students living off-campus to obtain alcohol.

-By Jason Leff, The Daily Free Press

Students Protest After Hate Crimes

LOS ANGELES, March 23 – As a response to recent hate crimes and vandalism reported on campus, as well as alleged mistreatment of students by the university police, more than 100 students from a variety of campus organizations held a rally Wednesday in Meyerhoff Park. Demonstrators spoke out against the drop in the number of underrepresented minorities at UCLA, which they said has led to growing intolerance and an increase in campus tensions.

Several incidents have been reported to campus police in past weeks that are being investigated as possible hate crimes. On March 7, a white man kicked an African-American woman on the steps of Campbell Hall while yelling racial slurs. Offices of student groups and newsmagazines in Kerckhoff Hall were also vandalized – among other incidents, someone drew swastikas on a poster calling for Asian-American bone marrow donors and slashed out pieces of photographs and posters. Swastikas were also painted on the doors of student groups’ offices.

After speaking in Meyerhoff Park for an hour, demonstrators marched to the UCPD office and lined up outside, chanting. Many students who spoke at the rally directed criticism at university police.

USAC President Mike de la Rocha said there has been a direct correlation between hate crimes and the decrease in the presence of students of color on campus. “There is definitely a climate of fear on campus, and we’re calling on Chancellor [Albert] Carnesale to take action,” de la Rocha said. Several speakers blamed Carnesale’s abiding by the 1995 regents’ measures SP-1 and SP-2 – that banned the consideration of race and gender in UC admissions and hiring – as a reason for the rise in hate crimes on campus.

– By Barbara Ortutay, Daily Bruin

Undercover Police Break Up Parties

BLOOMINGTON, Ind., March 24 – The Bloomington Police Department will begin its party patrols this weekend for the sixth consecutive year. According to an April 19, 1999, Indiana Daily Student article, party patrols were formed in answer to a riot that took place in the Varsity Villas in 1991. The riot resulted in a car being tipped over and 400 people being arrested.

Some warning signs the patrols look for include large crowds partying outside, loud music and an abundance of people in apartments and houses. BPD Cpt. Bill Parker said the patrol sometimes goes out on Thursdays, but mostly Fridays and Saturdays beginning one month before Little 500 each year. Those officers who are a part of these party patrols will be driving unmarked cars as well as wearing unidentifiable clothes, which will help them to be inconspicuous.

“We send out groups of officers specifically looking for parties,” Parker said. “They are very proactive with this. “We give warnings, citations, make arrests or sometimes a combination of these, but that depends on what is going on.” Senior Tom Mitchell, who is on the steering committee from the IU Student Foundation that sponsors Little 500, said they just want to put on a quality event and that the drinking situation is not what people assume. “The partying is more of a hype and myth, and I disagree with what TV dubbed us a couple of years ago about it being the greatest party weekend,” Mitchell said. “Partying is an individual thing. We just want to raise money for student working scholarships.”

-By Melissa Arnold, Indiana Daily Student

Compiled from the University Wire