Courtesy Georgetown Sports Information Junior middle blocker Sara Albert was named to the All-Tournament team for her efforts at Sacramento State this weekend. The team, however, failed to win a match.

The women’s volleyball team headed to California this weekend, but not to enter the race for governor. The women had far more serious things on their minds as they prepared to take part in the Sacramento State Invitational.

The opposing teams were not gracious hosts as each of the three handed the Hoyas a loss. The team went winless over the weekend, losing each match 3-1.

Georgetown kicked off the tournament Friday night against the Fresno State Bulldogs, the eventual champions of the tournament. The Hoyas were put down, 22-30, 17-30, 30-28, 21-30, despite a strong performance from junior middle blocker Sara Albert. Albert led the team with 50 percent kills, notching 18 kills in addition to five digs and one block. Sophomore outside hitter Ashley Lancaster added to her teammate’s performance with 20 kills of her own.

As impressive as those individual stats were, they were bested by the numbers of Bulldogs’ junior outside hitter Kristen Fenton, who had 22 kills, 13 digs and three blocks.

Albert continued to spearhead the Hoyas’ offensive effort the following day against the Highlanders of U. California at Riverside, but again it was not enough. Riverside defeated Georgetown 23-30, 23-30, 30-19, 17-30. Albert’s 14 kills led the team and sophomore outside hitter Rachel Nelson had a double-double with 12 kills and 13 digs. The strong effort put forth by Georgetown, however, was no match for Riverside’s senior middle hitter Rosanna Parizeck, who put up a match high 24 kills along with 10 digs.

Riverside recorded 30.2 percent kills as a team, almost double the 15.5 percent that Georgetown turned in for the match.

The team’s woes continued Saturday afternoon as it took on the hosting Sacramento State Hornets. Georgetown was again defeated, 3-1 (20-30, 16-30, 30-28, 19-30), despite another strong performance from Albert, who had a match high 18 kills to accompany four blocks. Albert was complemented by Nelson, who had her second double-double in two games with 11 kills and 14 digs.

Junior outside hitter Sandra Bandimere, of the Hornets, matched Albert’s stats with 18 kills and four digs of her own.

Margaret Vernon, the junior setter, continued to do an excellent job covering for the sidelined Jen Ward. Vernon put up a total of 138 assists over three matches, with her best match coming Friday night against Fresno State when she contributed 50 assists to her team.

Freshman middle blockers Annie Connor and Basak Karamehmet proved themselves on Saturday. Connor had 10 kills, along with three aces in the early game, and Karamehmet had respectable numbers, with nine kills, three aces and two digs in the nightcap.

Perhaps the highlight of the tournament was the selection of Albert to the all-tournament team. Albert, who played high school volleyball in Davis, a mere 15 miles down the road from Sacramento, celebrated her homecoming with three excellent matches.

The Hoyas faced tough competition this past weekend, but they will jump right back into the action next weekend. Georgetown will sponsor the Hoya Classic Volleyball Tournament Sept. 12 and 13. The team will play host to William and Mary, Coppin State and Wake Forest. This weekend marks the first opportunity for Hoya fans to see their 2003 team play at home at McDonough Gymnasium. Georgetown is scheduled to open the tournament at 7 p.m. on Sept. 12.