Busting Literary Publishing Myths

GOODREAD.COM Realistic novels, like those written by author John Green, are actually more desirable than magic or sci-fi fiction.
GOODREAD.COM
Realistic novels, like those written by author John Green, are actually more desirable than magic or sci-fi fiction.

From my experience in a literary agency internship, it seems that a good chunk of the world want to be writers. A lot of people out there believe it’s just as simple as writing 50 or 80 or 100 thousand words, giving it a title, and sending out query letters to the hundreds of agents accepting submissions.

And congratulations to those who manage it. It’s not easy to write that much, and whether or not they end up getting published, finishing a novel is an accomplishment in itself. But to all you aspiring authors, there’s a lot more to the publishing industry than just writing a book. It’s as much an industry as any other, and as such, it’s still a business, it’s still competitive, and a strong working knowledge of it is at least one requirement for being successful. But because it’s an industry that attracts so many people hungering for fame or the glory of seeing their name on a book cover without understanding what goes on behind the scenes, misconceptions abound.

Misconception 1: It can’t be that hard to get published.

It’s easier to get into Harvard than to get your novel on shelves. Agents now are in charge of editing, so they have to see enough potential in your work to be willing to sift through hundreds of pages and invest time polishing it. And when agents’ salaries are dependent on how many books they sell, you have to have a pretty good product. And getting an agent doesn’t guarantee your novel will hit the shelves. The agent must then successfully pitch it to an editor. The editor must then sit down with all the other editors in an acquisitions meeting to convince the department your book deserves to be picked up. Then there’s the risk your book will be killed because of unforeseen circumstances. It’s a brutal, harsh world, but as an agent I know says, “An industry of passion.” If you really want to be an author, you have to be willing to work harder, take greater risks and accept that the path to success is far from easy.

Misconception 2: To make it big, write about wizards, or vampires.

Publishers are facing what they call a “fantasy fatigue,” which means exactly what you think. Once “Harry Potter” became a success, everyone wrote about magic. After “Twilight,” agents’ inboxes were flooded with paranormal queries. The move away from fantasy and sci-fi is pretty obvious to anyone paying attention to bestseller lists. Contemporary realistic novels, particularly in the young adult genre, are gaining in popularity, thanks to authors like John Greene and Rainbow Rowell. We see ourselves in the characters. We identify with them. We don’t need to be the characters to share feelings, thoughts and fears with them.

Misconception 3: Print media is dying. Therefore, the publishing industry is dying.

My agent friend described changes in the book world not as an impending doom, but as a paradigm shift. People will not stop reading. Maybe the way people read will change, she said, but people will always need to read. No matter how enjoyable it is to binge-watch “Game of Thrones” or “Orange is the New Black,” no show can do for you what a good book can.

Misconception 4: Writing will make you rich, or, becoming a writer means a life as a starving artist

In a way, both are true. One successful, bestselling book can set you up for life, often with accompanying celebrity. But it’s also hard to make money, especially if you’re a debut author or your book doesn’t gain overwhelming acclaim. First-time authors typically make under $15,000 per book, which, if it takes you a year to write the book, edit it and find an agent, means you’re essentially making far below minimum wage. The situation is of course different for big name authors, who are typically on a book-a-year contract.

The book business is hard to get into, and even once you’re in, there’s no guarantee you won’t still be eating ramen in your parents’ basement. But as anyone will tell you, there’s one really easy way to prep yourself for your introduction to the industry: reading.

Kim Bussing is a rising junior in the College. Top Shelf appears every other Wednesday at thehoya.com.