Students may soon notice new signs posted in and around the Burleith neighborhood warning of fines and possible jail time for excessive noise or disruptive conduct. Lt. Pat Burke of Metro Police said he began posting the 100 signs yesterday and should have the rest up shortly. According to Burke, these signs are a result of a recent meeting between he had with Georgetown University representatives and Burleith citizens. Burke said he met with the two groups to discuss neighborhood complaints of noise and disorderly conduct associated with parties in the many Burleith homes housing Georgetown students. “More people complain about noise [than crime],” Burke said. “On the whole, we see the signs as a service to the students and the community,” Blake Smith of university public relations said. “Violations . can result in a $300 fine, and we want Georgetown students to know that before they face such a fine.” “We have a consistent policy of reaching out to the community and doing what is reasonable to make [it] safe and quiet,” Smith said. The new signs, printed by Boss Signs in Manlius, N.Y., are modeled after similar ones in Dewey Beach, Del., where strict noise ordinances are aimed mainly at the summer tourist crowd. Burke said the signs called Burleith a residential area where loud noise and disorderly behavior would not be tolerated. Fines are listed as a maximum $300 or ten days in jail, as enforced by Metro Police. A note in the bottom corner of the signs says that the university paid for them. Burke explained that the first time people cause disturbances through a party or disorderly conduct, provided they are not repeat offenders, they will be issued warning citations. A second offense would warrant a $300 fine, and should a person continue causing disturbances, he or she would be arrested, Burke said. Burke also said that $50 fines for drunken loitering would be issued, particularly along Prospect St., where residents have complained about people coming home from bars, congregating and disturbing the peace. In this case, an officer would first ask a disorderly person to quiet down or leave the area. If the person should oppose the officer’s request, the officer could then issue the $50 fine, Burke said. “This saves me from having my officers having to lock people up and me losing my officers for two or three hours off the street,” Burke said. Janice Hopper, a board member of the Burleith Citizen’s Association, indicated that Burleith residents, many of whom have complained about students and loud parties, welcomed the new signs. “It was thought of as a possible solution to what has been a problem for a long time,” she said.