Both Teams Finish Eighth at Big East Tourney in Miami

Women Conclude Year with 14-13 Record; Men (6-23) next Face Princeton in Finale

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

This past weekend, the Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams traveled to Miami, Fla., to take part in the 2000 Big East Tennis Championships. Both the 10th-seeded men and sixth-seeded women won their first round matches only to drop their next three matches. Both teams concluded the championships in eighth place.

The Georgetown men, who had failed to win a single Big East match during the regular season, upset the No. 7 seed, Villanova, 4-2 on Thursday, April 20, in the first round at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The Hoyas captured the doubles point with victories at the No. 1 and 2 positions. The Georgetown tandem of senior Beau Brewer and freshman Marc Lohser defeated Villanova’s Robert Waibel and Josh Schofield 8-6 at the No. 1 spot. At No. 2 doubles, Hoya sophomores Nick Sklavounos and Andre Benjamin won 8-5 over Wildcats Mike Mock and Ramon Prats.

Georgetown then secured the overall victory with three singles wins. At the No. 2 spot, Lohser was again successful in his 6-0, 6-4 win over Villanova’s Mock. Freshman Troy Crichlow added another Hoya victory at No. 3 singles with a 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 6-1 defeat of the Wildcat’s Schofield. The clincher came from Georgetown’s Benjamin at the No. 5 spot where he came from behind to win 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1.

The win over Villanova propelled Georgetown into the quarterfinals and a matchup with the No. 2 seed, Notre Dame, on Friday. The Hoyas were no match for the No. 29 ranked Fighting Irish, as they fell by a score of 4-0.

The loss dropped Georgetown into the consolation bracket, where they were defeated 4-0 by fifth-seeded Rutgers on Saturday. Then on April 23, the men finished the championships with another 4-0 loss, this time to the No. 6 seed, Connecticut.

The men’s record now stands at 6-23. They will travel to Princeton this Saturday for their final match of the year.

The Georgetown women, just like the men, opened up the Big East championships with a first-round win over Villanova on Thursday in iami. The Hoyas were 5-2 victors over the No. 11-seeded Wildcats.

The match opened with the singles competition and Georgetown emerged with a 4-2 lead. At No. 1 singles, senior Lucky Ravindra convincingly defeated Villanova’s Julie Darne 6-1, 6-2. Hoya senior Sarada Ravindra was equally impressive in her 6-2, 6-2 win over Ashley Young at the No. 2 spot. At the No. 3 slot, senior Missy endes fought back for a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 victory over the Wildcat’s Stephane Ariot. Senior Lauren Mendes captured the fourth singles victory for Georgetown at the No. 4 position by handily defeating egan Lacroix 6-1, 6-2.

The doubles team of Lucky Ravindra and sophomore Caroline arshall wrapped up the victory for the Hoyas with an 8-5 win over Villanova’s Darne and Young at No. 1 doubles.

The victory moved Georgetown into a quarterfinal matchup with the No. 3 seed, Syracuse, on Friday. However, the Hoyas were no match for favored Syracuse and fell 5-0.

This loss dropped the Hoyas into the consolation bracket, where on Saturday they were edged 5-4 by the No. 9 seed, Rutgers. In its final match of the championships on Sunday, Georgetown suffered a 5-3 loss to seventh-seeded West Virginia.

The Big East championships marked the end of the women’s season. They compiled a 14-13 record on the year and went 6-2 in the Big East.