Applauding the change in the GUTS bus routes/stops is akin to calling Mussolini’s ability to create train schedules a triumph. While a select few (as heard through the grapevine to be a certain professor and minions) tout that promoting a campus without vehicles is a nirvana to be achieved, they failed to apply any form of logic or reasoning to the situation.

There are many reasons why the routes should not have been changed. Foremost is that the Rosslyn and Arlington Loop shuttles are used not only for student transport, but also for people who visit the Georgetown Hospital. The location of the stop puts an unnecessary burden upon these travelers to walk that distance and incline to reach the hospital, which is especially true for the senior citizens. To avoid having to address this issue, the administration has given some members of the campus community an alternative form of transportation out of need. Furthermore, while regular traffic continues along those routes, pedestrian traffic has increased dramatically due to the 600-plus students a day who are now forced to walk along that particular road.

Wouldn’t it be safer and better for all of the Georgetown community to reestablish the old stop for the buses? This would eliminate the needs of all of the handicapped patrons of the bus to arrange separate forms of transportation up what is a significant hill for them to climb, as well as dramatically diminishing the pedestrian traffic through the same area, creating a safer campus community. In my opinion, it would behoove the transportation office to take the time to think and plan out these changes before implementing them based on the whims of the minority who probably have never had the need to ride a bus. Despite petitions, the transportation office has not restored the old bus stops. If you agree with me, please call them and let you know what you think. They can be reached at: (202) 687-4372 or e-mailed at otmgeorgetown.edu.

Bjorn Faulkner (GRD ’08)

April 10, 2008