FOOTBALL Bison Stampede Hoyas 34-0 GU Shutout For First Time Since’97 By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

Hoya File Photo Georgetown lost for the first time in three weeks against Bucknell last weekend.

After two consecutive victories, the Bucknell Bison provided the Hoyas with a rude wake-up call Saturday, scoring 34 first half points and handing Georgetown its first shutout since 1997.

Bucknell set the early tone for the game as cornerback Reed Tunison picked off Georgetown senior quarterback Sean Peterson’s pass 16-seconds into the game and returned it 29 yards for a touchdown. Tunison’s touchdown would be the first of four first quarter touchdowns for the Bison.

“We lost our poise in the beginning of the game, and that’s my fault,” Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson said.

Bucknell sophomore running back Jess Brinson rushed for 164 yards and a touchdown as he filled in for top rusher, Jabu Powell, who sat out with a rib injury. This marks the third straight game an opposing running back has totaled over 100 yards against the Georgetown defense.

Quarterback Todd Wenrich completed two touchdowns and 19 of 29 pass attempts for 264 yards for Bucknell.

Conversely, the Hoyas could manage little offensively. Bucknell held Georgetown to just 28 net rushing yards, sacking Peterson five times for losses that added up to 23 yards. Junior Dave Paulus led the Hoyas in rushing yards with 41, as he temporarily replaced Peterson as quarterback. Sophomore Dawon Dicks led all Hoya running backs with just 16 positive yards on six carries.

“That’s the best defensive front we’ve seen all year,” Benson said. “They completely dominated.”

Peterson completed 12 of 22 passes for 104 yards, while Paulus was three for eight for 29 yards. Sophomore Morgan Booth also saw time at quarterback and was one for three, passing for six yards.

Sophomore wide receiver Luke McArdle provided the lone offensive highlights for Georgetown, accumulating 133 all-purpose yards, including 63 yards on six receptions.

Trailing 34-0 at halftime, Georgetown tightened up defensively. The Hoyas forced four turnovers in the second half including interceptions by senior defensive back Ryan Cooper and freshman defensive back Byron Anderson, but the offense could not convert. Anderson’s interception, his third of the season, ties him for the lead in the Patriot League in that category.

The closest the Hoyas would come to scoring in the contest was a missed 50-yard field goal attempt by law student Marc Samuel in the second quarter. The 1997 shutout came at the hands of Fordham, another Patriot League opponent. The Rams soundly bested the Hoyas 42-0.

“That’s the toughest team we’ve faced all year,” Benson said. “They’ll probably go undefeated in I-AA football this year.”

Bucknell’s record stands at 5-1; its only loss went to Kent State, a Division I-A program. The Bison lost that game, their season opener, by a score of 38-17.

Prior to the game against Bucknell, Georgetown had won two straight games against non-conference opponents Davidson and Duquesne. Benson said ending the win-streak in such a one sided fashion was nothing to be discouraged about.

“It’s not demoralizing, it’s reality,” Benson said. “That’s the level where we need to take our program. They had a beautiful facility in the center of campus . if you go into their house, you know it’s going to be a tough place to play.”

Georgetown will again take a break from its Patriot League schedule next weekend as the Hoyas travel to Poughkeepsie, N.Y. to face former Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponent Marist. The Red Foxes are 0-5 on the season.

The Hoyas are 7-0 in the all-time series with Marist. Last year, Georgetown defeated Marsit at home by a score of 41-17. Kick off is at 1 p.m.

Team Schedules/Rosters 2001 Football Schedule | Roster