In the past two and a half weeks, 14 people have reported to the Department of Public Safety that their bicycles were stolen after being secured to bike racks on campus, and one person reported a man attempting to cut a bike lock.

“Bicycle thefts are a particularly difficult problem because so many of these crimes go undetected, often happening in the middle of the night with no witnesses,” said Andy Pino, director of media relations for the office of public affairs.

atas Tamosiunas (SFS ’11), who lives in Kennedy Hall, said he had secured his bike with an OnGuard bicycle lock. When he walked out to get his bike on Sept. 16, he realized his bike was no longer there.

“I don’t think it reflects on-campus security, these things happen, but it’s just weird that I lived in Chicago for four years and now my bike is here for less than a month and it is stolen,” Tamosiunas said.

“All that was left was my cut label,” he said.

iranda White (COL ’10), deputy opinion editor for THE HOYA said that her brand-new bike was stolen from an Alumni Square bike rack.

“I was coming out of Village B and noticed my bike wasn’t there,” she said. “I was completely shocked. I still hadn’t taken a ride on my bike.”

White said she chose her bike lock because it had a long cord. “Now I know if I get a bike again, I’m getting one of those solid metal locks. I assumed that the cord ones couldn’t be broken,” she said.

Signs informing students about the recent rise in bicycle thefts on campus were posted around campus, including on the doors to the Intercultural Center. The signs urged students to purchase “Kryptonite U-Locks” to properly secure and prevent any theft of their bicycles on campus. The locks, sold by DPS, cost $25.

“I recently bought a U-lock to combat the regular chains getting cut,” Thomas Clifford (COL ’11) said. “I purchased one after reading the signs put up by the DPS in LXR about the thefts.”

One student suggested improving lighting and visibility for bicycle racks.

“I store my bike outside of Henle. The rack is in the open so it seems difficult for someone to steal a locked bike without being seen, at least during the day,” Dan Finnegan (COL ’11) said. “Maybe if there were lights on the bike racks at night, it would deter thieves.”

As of June 1, bikes are no longer required to be registered within the District of Columbia, according to the District Department of Transportation’s Web site. Although not mandated, the site strongly encourages residents to register bikes to aid the Metropolitan Police Department with recovery.

Pino also outlined steps that DPS recommend be taken by students who own bicycles on campus.

DPS recommends that students always lock their bicycles, Pino said, even if they will only gone a few minutes.

“Make sure your bicycle lock is adequate for the task, as thieves often look for bicycles with the poorest-quality locks,” he said. “And finally, keep a record of your bicycle’s serial number.”

DPS Director Jeff Van Slyke also stressed that students should give the bike serial number when reporting the theft. “Having that number can be extremely helpful if and when your bicycle is recovered,” he said.

DPS recently created a new position, crime prevention coordinator, who will work with the university to provide safety education for Georgetown students, Van Slyke said.

“It is a position that will be served as an ambassador for the DPS for managing education programs,” he said.