The Georgetown Hoyas hoped to salvage part of what has become a scrap heap of a season in a pair of final Big East matchups last weekend. But despite efforts on Friday night and Sunday afternoon, the Blue and Gray saw their streak of consecutive losses increase to nine with a pair of setbacks: 3-1 to St. John’s and 3-0 to Connecticut.

Georgetown’s last win came nearly a month ago on Oct. 12, when the Hoyas rallied to beat Pittsburgh in a game that seemed to signify that a season turnaround might have been imminent. Instead, Georgetown (5-25, 1-13 Big East) has slogged through the second half of the Big East slate and dropped 16 of its last 17 matches.

On Friday night, Georgetown welcomed No. 21 St. John’s to cDonough Arena, and the young Hoyas showed poise in the hard-fought match against the international-player-laden regular-season Big East champions. Eight of the 15 women on the St. John’s roster come from outside the U.S., three from China and one each from Israel, Russia, Poland, Romania and Brazil.

Despite a quick start from the Red Storm, in which they converted 12 of their first 16 points on kills, the Hoyas methodically orchestrated a comeback. Much of the firepower was provided by junior middle blocker Katherine Niesen, sophomore middle blocker Courtney Cohen, and sophomore right-side hitter Kiersten McKoy.

After a Red Storm kill put the Hoyas trailing 27-23, a trio of errors from St. John’s brought Georgetown back to life. Two errors from SJU senior outside hitter Dana DeMayo knotted the score at 28, and a kill from junior middle hitter Chen Chen put the Red Storm within a point of clinching the match. Another error from SJU and a conversion on the attack by sophomore outside hitter Dana Dumas gave the Hoyas game point (30-29).

A sixth error in 11 points from SJU handed Georgetown game three and the first set win for the Hoyas in three matches.

In game four, the Blue and Gray kept it close through the initial part of the match, but a determined Red Storm squad slowly created a greater separation. Georgetown took its second timeout down 24-15, and sloppy play from the Red Storm gave the Hoyas hope, but the Big East leaders soon flexed their league-champion muscle by stretching the lead to 28-17.

“The Hoyas played well and very consistently from the beginning to end against a very good St. John’s team,” Head Coach Arlisa Hagan Williams said. “It was nice to see Courtney Cohen have her breakout game tonight.”

Cohen provided a spark off the bench by firing nine kills on 14 attempts for a team leading .500 attack percentage.

Robinson and Dumas added 12 and 11 kills respectively. On Sunday Georgetown took to the court for the Big East season finale against the UConn Huskies.

A triumvirate of Hoyas led Georgetown with seven kills apiece. This group included Niesen, sophomore outside hitter Jessica Hardy, and sophomore outside hitter Kortney Robinson.

A kill from Cohen tied the game at 28, but a critical double block and a kill ended game two in favor of the Huskies. In the third set the Blue and Gray fell behind early, 14-5, and never recovered. The Huskies hit .282 for game three while Georgetown fired .158, and UConn took the game and the match 30-23.

Two more games remain on the schedule for the Blue and Gray. They will travel to Richmond, Va. on November 23-24 for the VCU Thanksgiving Tournament where they take on the Rams (11-9, 6-8 CAA) for the second time this season. Their second opponent of the tournament will be Liberty (24-7, 11-1 Big South).